Sanding ? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
electrician / handyman

Rewards Points: 10

sanding ?

I want to repaint the posts on my front porch and I was going to use this product called peel away 6 but it is to cold to do so . What is the best way to strip this paint

Advertisement

sethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

sanding ?

There should be no need to completely strip the current paint. Normal prep for trim painting involves washing, removal of all failing paint (scraping and/or sanding is the usual method), a scuff sand to rough up the surface, and then coating with the new paint. If changing from oil to water-base paint, oil-base primer will need to be applied.

However, since it is too cold to strip, isn't it too cold to paint also?

SirWired

Advertisement

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
electrician / handyman

sanding ?

good point i want to install railings but i want to paint first i didnt want to wait for spring
Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

sanding ?

If the posts have peeling paint or are very old, then you might not like the look of repainting. Scraping is another option, though labor intensive. Are they round posts or square? If square, you may be able to use something like a hand planer. Then sand smooth.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #5

sanding ?

Sirwired gave you some great advice PLEASE do not strip paint you are costing yourself a LOT of extra work just not neccessary. As stated just scrape or sand any loose paint off and give the old coat some "teeth" or degloss with sandpaper. I would reccomend using kilz primer in either Kilz 2 or General purpose EXTERIOR to seal old surface. It is not a requirement to use an oil based primer even if the previous coat is oil based paint, todays premium water based paints (Behr, Valspar's American Tradition, or Kilz Casual Colors from Wal-Mart all have the acrylic content load to handle adhesion to oil based paints especially after priming.
dcheek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

sanding ?

Yikes! Kilz2 is a horrible primer with serious adhesion issues (as in, there have been several reports here of it literally falling off the wall... primer is supposed to HELP adhesion; for a primer to EVER lose adhesion is simply insane.) Behr, and Kilz Colors are also quite awful. AmTrad less so, but still not that great. (Kilz original oil-base is not that bad.) They are absolutely NOT premium paints, despite what the label says.

If the stuff from your local BigBoxCo would save money and time, pros would shop there to buy their paint. Instead, pros buy paint from your local paint store because they are more consistent, take fewer coats, and fail less often. The few dollars a gallon more premium paint-store paint costs are more than made up with avoiding the time and frustration from using BigBoxCo paint.

Also, if you want to guarantee that you will not have adhesion issues, an oil-base primer is absolutely necessary here if the base paint is oil.

A coat of oil-base primer is MUCH less of a Pain In The Rear than having to scrape and re-apply a water-base coat that didn't go well.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #7

sanding ?

I will have to respectfully disagree with you Kilz 2 HAS NEVER failed on me personally....and sure there are posts on here where it "literally" fell off the wall but you would have to be there to know why....if K2 is used correctly it will not fail the brand practically invented the primer business and I can gaurantee you K2 or original or GP will not fail if the product is used correctly. I will bet you a lot of mooolahhhh that if you gave me the brand of primer you used I can find a hundred examples of that product failing.....NO Doubt in my mind! And again with respect there is no need to topcoat with an oil over oil that is sooooo old school thinking....todays paints and primers for that matter have more than enough acrylic to adhere....the days of oil only over oil and vice versa are gone.....of course you will need to degloss the oil coat but will have zero problem coating with a water. Oil based primers are a great product but are not made just to coat oil over oil.

David
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

sanding ?

Sorry David, you have been lucky
Kilz2 has such a high failure rate, many real Paint Stores will not even carry it
(the ones that care about you and your projects)
Even a 5% failure rate would be high enough to warrant not recommending it
Kilz2 is much, much higher than that

Please keep in mind that even a 25% failure rate means 75% non-failure
And still plenty of happy customers
However, it's not a risk I am willing to take, or recommend
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #9

sanding ?

I would love to see the stats on the failure rate and for that matter why all brand primers fail. I would think user error plays a huge role in this, even pros make mistakes. Now not to say Kilz has never sent out a botched shippment but just hard for me to believe someones primers just falls off the wall. Anyway enough of us back and forth I enjoy your posts and differ with your preferences, opionions, and advice very little you definately know your stuff just pretty harsh on products that I use daily and stand behind 100% but hey that what these forums are all about.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Pro Painter

sanding ?

I've a point to make here.

It sounds like OP has some chipping paint or areas that are down to bare wood. He may want a smooth surface after he's done, which is why I made the suggestion. The columns are decorative and I don' think he was asking how to prep it, I think he's asking how to get all the paint off, to start frest.

On another note, I would never, ever use latex kilz on an exterior. Please, don't make that suggestion on this board. I understand that you want to have this discussion with some of the pro painters, but puulleeessse don't give that advice to our diyers.

At this point, I invite you (dcheek) to our pro painter forum: painttalk.com to have this discussion. We don't let diyers in that forum, but since you've been painting for 12 yrs. we welcome you there.

Last edited by joewho; 01-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
electrician / handyman

sanding ?

I would really like to take all the paint off and start fresh I know it i a lot more work but it would look much better thanks joewho what stripper should i usewill peel away 6 work
Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Pro Painter

sanding ?

Hi seth,

I'm glad you replies, since it wasn't clear what you wanted to do.

Stripper probably won't work in the cold weather. I had mentioned some mechanical alternatives above, maybe a hand planer.

Advertisement