DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Round 2 & 2nd coat question

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  usaalways 
#1 ·
1st coat of masterbedroom walls & ceiling finished before final coat and touch up to complete son's room.
This one went a whole lot smoother with lighter paint. Pictures arent so good but I can say it looks a hell of alot better then before. Walls/ceiling were same color as base boards(base boards will be a darker color).
Special thanx for the purdy recommendation. Baught myself 2 and man o man what a difference...paints like using a razor blade with hardly no brushmarks. But I did use tape between wall and board, and as another member put it.."looks like it was cut with a laser"(pic 3).
Question: Walls are now dry to the touch...even stuck my figernail and still dry. Can I apply 2nd coat at this point? Or should I wait until tomorrow?
Thanx

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm...not sure with the Glidden
SWP/BM you can recoat in about 2 - 4 hours
If it's that dry already, maybe give it a shot
You'll know if you pushed it too hard, it'll pull up and make a mess, or it'll sag after you pass
Try a spot and wait a few
If it's too soon, you'll know rather quickly
(a little sanding and re-coating tomorrow will fix it if it was)

#3 ·
Glad to hear that the brushes worked out, quality tools pay for them selfs.
As far as recoating, you should be able to put another coat on in a couple hours.
If you were being paid for this service, then i would tell you to wait till tomorow. Two true coats are done this way.
Painting requires practice. So just keep it up.

#4 ·
ALOT changes in just an hr.

I think I will just go ahead and do the 2nd coat tomorrow because I just cracked open a beer and wont stop for a while as I just quit for the day out of such frustration.
After my impressive start with the bedroom and feeling good I went back to the kid's room for 2nd coat of blue on walls and touch up on red cieling. 1st thing that pissed me off was red does not cover over blue(got some blue spots on cieling). Ok so i just covered those spots with grey primer and will attempt again.
And 2nd thing is the edging! Im not quite a pro using entirely purdy, but I also cannot tape as some areas have primer to cover blue.
Using these dark colors i find extremely difficult to have perfect edging. So what Im going to do tomorrow is go along top of wall with a 3 1/2" edger stripe in red. I think that will look neat and will eliminate trying to make that perfect seperation of blue and red...ya know the kind where the ocean meets the sky in the distance.
Anyway you are correct sir...practice is required! I go back to work on Tue(after being off since the 15th) and thought before I started I would be long done by now. Not the case!
But u folks are helping me alot with ur imput and it's appreciated.
Look fwd in learning more here.

#5 ·
Dark colors will always show flaws more than neutral colors. Do as you said, take the rest of the night off, and start fresh tomorow. I know when i do painting projects at home it is always slower, due to the kids and all the distractions. Take your time and be patient. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.