Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Rough edges from too many coats of paint and. dents Best material to build up?

Ok.
So I generally know what I am doing with spackle and paint etc..

But I am opening a huge can of worms and I want to get er done.

I have a 1910 colonial with plaster walls and trim that has a billion coats of paint on it. From the looks of it, improper prep work/no sanding/no wiping/ paint over dust etc...
Looks lumpy.

When I try to sand the paint gunks up the paper immediately and unless I have sander set really slow it seems to almost melt and make a bigger mess.
When I try to scrape I end up chipping alot away and creating a very uneven surface for the new paint.... you can see where the paint was chipped through the primer and top coat. Looks crappy.

The trim is dented in many places and the trim is intricate.
It is 1x6 with a cap of three beads... it looks like the trim to right on this page.
http://www.moorewoodworking.com/historical-molding.html

Furthermore, where the paint starts to chip on its own, I want to stop it. Can I prime and skim with vinyl spackle?

The joints between the moldings... some have small gaps with random paint in it. The door jams are beat up.

So, My question is this...
Will vinyl spackle like from DAP be a good product to smear all over the place and then shape and smooth? How to prep so it lasts?

I know I can make it look smooth with joint compound, but it seems like I might be cursing myself 10 years down the road.

My current plan of action is scuff, skim and fill coat, sand to shape and smooth, prime, paint.

chrisNJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

STOP sanding!! Many of those layers are likely lead based paint, and sanding spreads lead filled dust all over the place. There are safe chemical strippers that can get those layers off(may need several applications). Or, if the trim is nothing special, remove and replace it. At any rate, wear a GOOD dust mask, seal off each room with plastic, and vacuum up all debris with a HEPA vacuum.

Encapsulation is one of the recommended methods. Which means seal up what is there, so your original plan may be the best solution.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It sounds like you are at a point where you really should think about stripping the paint off or replacing the trim.

An infrared stripper works great for this kind of project. Pricey but you can rent one. It will melt multiple layers at once. You still have to abate the lead though. Although as a homeowner, you have more options than I would doing the job for you.

There are stripping products that will encapsulate the lead as go.

Last edited by user1007; 11-27-2012 at 06:10 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Painting forum.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote