Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

Roller frame quality

I am curious what type or brand of roller frames experienced painters prefer? I have some cheapos and a nice Purdy one. The paint store I go to hase some ones that are like $50. What is the benefit of these?

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #2

Roller frame quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
I am curious what type or brand of roller frames experienced painters prefer? I have some cheapos and a nice Purdy one. The paint store I go to hase some ones that are like $50. What is the benefit of these?
50 dollar roller cages, where do you live, Beverly Hills? Purdy makes a good cage. Sherlock is the brand I use, mostly because that's what's most available in my market. I can't see any reason a standard roller cage would cost 50. I think that last Sherlock I bought was about 8-9 bucks, and they're generally the standard IMO.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #3

Roller frame quality

I like the good ol' basic Wooster roller frame. 8 - 9 bucks, does a good job and you didn't spend so much that if you lose it or it gets broken, you're not out a bunch of money. I find that the really cheap ones are made of such light material that you have to push so hard to get the paint on the wall that they are virtually worthless.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Roller frame quality

We use purdy and wooster frames. I prefer a heavy frame, as the paint kinda just glides off and you really don't need much pressure at all when rolling with a quality heavy frame. As the two previous posters mentioned. The cost is about 7-9$ for a quality frame
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Roller frame quality

One difference about the frame is what kind of pole does it attach to. You are using a pole, right?
Wooster sherlocks are preferred by most pros because the pole has a clip that keeps the frame from spinning on the pole. There are other frame-pole combos out there, but that is the most prevalent ( and best IMO) .
And a good frame has quality ball bearings that will last for a long time. If you do a room a year this might not mean as much as if you're using it every day.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #6

Roller frame quality

I agree that theSherlock frame/pole combo is the best. Purdy also makes quality frames and poles but are hard to find in my area. Plus the Sherlock makes a 14" model which I and all of my guys love.
kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Roller frame quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
One difference about the frame is what kind of pole does it attach to. You are using a pole, right?
Wooster sherlocks are preferred by most pros because the pole has a clip that keeps the frame from spinning on the pole. There are other frame-pole combos out there, but that is the most prevalent ( and best IMO) .
And a good frame has quality ball bearings that will last for a long time. If you do a room a year this might not mean as much as if you're using it every day.
My only complaint with sherlock is the smooth tip on the pole as opposed to the threaded tip, I have one of each. Makes it less than universal when it comes to handles. I say less than because one day I was stuck with only my smooth tip pole and a non-sherlock handle, which is as good as a square peg when all you have a round hole. Solution, got my drill out and made it compatible. It worked.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Roller frame quality

I carry a couple of conversion ends, but that's not so DIY. I have a Level360 sanding pole disk that now fits on a sherlock, and other pole accessories.
The sherlock system is good but exclusive .
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
ltd

Roller frame quality

i like the purdy cage less frame. Ben using it daily for last 6 months and it is finally starting to were out. it tracks nice and straight ,light weight ,cleans up good ,cover comes off easy ,about 10 bucks .one thing i dont like about it when using a stick in a 5 gallon screen set up it wants to fall out of bucket
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #10

Roller frame quality

I like the green Wooster Sherlock frames too.
If ya buy a Sherlock pole, it has the threaded adapter in the end of the pole.
Clip in the frame handle and boom...NO twisting possible.

We dropped our cheap frames years ago. The tremendous neck-flex is SO hard to finesse with. I'll only carry 5/16" rods now.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #11

Roller frame quality

Wooster or Purdy as well. The cheaper ones will break after banging the naps off a handfull of times.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #12

Roller frame quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Wooster or Purdy as well. The cheaper ones will break after banging the naps off a handfull of times.
A tiny handful.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Roller frame quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
A tiny handful.
and thats being generous

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote