Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |

roller cover size/style for tall walls with natural light

Just posted a question about priming my drywall ceiling but also wondering if I would be better off getting some 50/50 wooster roller covers that I hear guys talking about. I have some 10mm (3/8) but wondering if I should go with a 15mm roller cover and even a 14" wide instead of 9". Is the 50/50 at 15mm or 1/2" going to leave a much deeper texture or is that a matter of technique? My idea was thicker/wider roller means more wet set up time, less chance of natural light picking up my imperfections with application. Colour is 'lion' a soft browny green - paint is behr premium eggshell, primer will be the orange behr high hide primer (sorry already bought so behr eggshell it is - wish I would have got flat, but maybe can still buy some flat and roll on an extra coat after eggshell goes on while everything is not cured yet?)
- Walls are 13 ft high, 2 of them on either side of the 'window wall' with heaps of natural light
- big 6x4 picture windows.
- Ceiling here is T&G pine so no worries there.
-Walls go back about 15 feet from windows ie a big great room with cathedral ceiling.
- Starting priming tomorrow hopefully....thanks!

albymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

9 in, 50/50, 1/2 nap

no comment on paint choice

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

The eggshell will give your imperfections a bit of a shine. I love BM matte finishes for this situation Regal Select Matte is a great product and holds up as well or better than Behr eggshell.
The wool will give you a bit more stipple than other rollers- its why i don't like them. I know others do- make sure you finish stroke in one direction.
Tall walls are a challenge.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sorry to hear BEHRly paint at all was your choice but you are stuck with it now. Make sure to work from wet to dry. I would stick with a 9" cover as you are going to be fighting sags and drips with your paint choice. Get a good, sturdy extension pole for the roller.

As for flat over the eggshell or satin. It should work out fine. Best if you get the flat on within the recommended recoat time or after 30 days when the surface has cured. Not critical though.

Do rescue your project with real paint from a paint store if you decide to switch to flat for you final coat.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Thanks guys for info
- I live really remote and have some general paint 'prem' rollers and some white doves coming up today - 10 and 15mm 9" rollers so will have to go with one of these at least for the prime coat for this week.
- re paint...was limited to a purchase at the depot long story, used CIL3 last time (current house standard walls lighting etc) and was pretty happy but somehow behr got bought... hope it turns out. But if I can get a colour match done for final or 3rd coat would CIL flat be an okay bet for final coat? I can try one of the recommendations here too...
- the stiple thing with the 50/50 I'd heard about but was wondering if that might be good thing ie help to deflect light a bit on the walls in this situation - I WAS thinking - 50/50 + wider roller get it on quicker/better coverage BUT sounds like my paint choice might have wrecked that idea...?
Thanks for the help...

Last edited by albymate; 02-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #6

just to update - had a pro spray and backroll the tall walls with behr eggshell - lots of streaks and uneven spots after 2 coats, happened also with a brown CIL paint too in eggshell - so onto fixing.... costly mistake too funny thing is with CIL (dulux is very popular with pros too in Australia where I'm from) I've not had a problem before - the painter said it's with some earth tone colours more than others with these paints...