Roller Cover - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Roller Cover

Hi,

I have a roller cover that I like very much and it is nearing the end of its life but I cannot seem to find the same kind.

Is anyone familiar with a roller cover that has kind of loose short strings on it in stead of the standard knitted variety. I would like to know what this type of roller cover is called, because it has served me well for a few 1000 sqft and it is fantastically easy to clean.

Thanks,

Thomas

Advertisement

trosenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Roller Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosenda View Post
Hi,

I have a roller cover that I like very much and it is nearing the end of its life but I cannot seem to find the same kind.

Is anyone familiar with a roller cover that has kind of loose short strings on it in stead of the standard knitted variety. I would like to know what this type of roller cover is called, because it has served me well for a few 1000 sqft and it is fantastically easy to clean.

Thanks,

Thomas
Hi Thomas.

You may be referring to a sheep skin or merino wool cover. Lowes and home depot carry a decent cover. They are priced in the $10.00 range. When they are new they look different in the package, once you use the cover a few times they look similar to what you are describing.

Kevin

Advertisement

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Roller Cover

Here is a picture of the roller cover if that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Roller Cover-img_6759.jpg  
trosenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Roller Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosenda View Post
Here is a picture of the roller cover if that helps
That looks like a Polyamide fabric cover. Try this link.

http://www.whizzrollers.com/whizz2/whizz/cageframe.htm
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roller Cover

And how many thousands of gallons of increasingly fresh water have you used to wash out this thing you love? Unless your US water supplier is owned by someone other than mine it is German or something getting the profits from you wasting a diminishing resource? Buy nice, contractor grade roller covers ($3-5 retail?). Wrap them in plastic and stick them in the fridge until your are done with them. Then toss them. Don't fuss with washing the things.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 170

Roller Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Wrap them in plastic and stick them in the fridge until your are done with them. Then toss them.
Good tip! I usually just put them in a plastic bag and they keep for quite a while, but I'm sure keeping them cold might keep them more moist. Going to give this a try.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Roller Cover

I don't want to get started on the water thing, but I do wash my roller out after each use, its especially useful when switching to a different color. I didn't care for using the plastic over the roller until next use. Unless you are putting the roller handle in with the cover, its just a big mess, and even then you have dripping paint on the roller ends.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Roller Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
I don't want to get started on the water thing, but I do wash my roller out after each use, its especially useful when switching to a different color. I didn't care for using the plastic over the roller until next use. Unless you are putting the roller handle in with the cover, its just a big mess, and even then you have dripping paint on the roller ends.

Also you have the lady of the house to deal with, in my case, no paint brushes or rollers have ever seen the inside of the refrigerator. I am still not convinced this is even a valid procedure. Anyone have any real evidence that this actually works?I have wrapped roller covers up in plastic and left them for a week, not sure being in the frige would help.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painting tools