Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

rolled on BM paint left small bubbles

Rolled on Ben Moore paint on a wall that was previously primed a week ago and next to it the existing old painted wall. Was shocked to see the paint left small bubbles on both. Did with a different roller and same thing happened. Wipped it all off. The texture of my previous wall is a french lace or knock down texture but not rough. Does anyone out there think it's the paint? I had ACE add extra color to a Base 1 paint. The sales person didn't say anything about a problem with chemicals just that she couldn't guarantee the color. I used RegalŪ Classic Premium Interior 100% Acrylic Matte Finish (221). Walls before were spray painted with contractor semi gloss latex paint 7 years ago over same french lace or knock down texture and NO bubbles.

dmkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkelly View Post
Rolled on Ben Moore paint on a wall that was previously primed a week ago and next to it the existing old painted wall. Was shocked to see the paint left small bubbles on both. Did with a different roller and same thing happened. Wipped it all off. The texture of my previous wall is a french lace or knock down texture but not rough. Does anyone out there think it's the paint? I had ACE add extra color to a Base 1 paint. The sales person didn't say anything about a problem with chemicals just that she couldn't guarantee the color. I used RegalŪ Classic Premium Interior 100% Acrylic Matte Finish (221). Walls before were spray painted with contractor semi gloss latex paint 7 years ago over same french lace or knock down texture and NO bubbles.
Hiya DM...

How much of an area did you roll before switching roller covers? You said after you changed covers (and it did the same thing), you wiped it all off. Were you able to wipe off the original too? I'm asking to determine how much area was covered when you first noticed the bubbling - if the first applied was still able to wiped off, you couldn't have covered too much of an area...

If this is the case, I'd rather think it's the cover, or the painter, than the paint itself...Paint may be the cause, but there are other factors more likely to cause bubbling than the paint. (1) A new cover that hasn't had the air expelled from the fabric could be at fault (which may explain why it happened twice), and (2) improper roll technique may also be at fault (take no offense, I have no clue as to how experienced a painter you are).

If it's the case of (1) a new roller cover - I normally load up my cover in the tray and let it set there several minutes before painting. During this time, I often remove switch and receptacle covers and do whatever taping is necessary. This gives the cover time to soak to the core and eliminate some of the air that's entrapped. If (2), improper technique, try this: with a fully loaded roller, roll out an area about 4' X 4', then refill you cover (even though there may still be plenty of paint in cover) and continue in this method. Rolling your cover too dry - and - rolling too fast can cause bubbling in the film.

I'm also making the assumption that the walls are not overly porous and since you purchased Ben Moore Paints, you're also using a decent quality cover? (Yes, it makes a difference). Good luck.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

I got bubbles once using a foam roller.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
ltd

i haven't had that happen to me in years . when it did happen i got bubbles even when i brushed and rolled .eventually they would burst leveling a small crater. i always thought it was because it was shaken to much ,but i really don't know.guess its one of those un solved mysteries
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

What kind of roller covers are you using?
Did you wash the rollers in water before using?
was the paint properly mixed and shaken?

I'm no chemist but its possible that too much colorant could have done something to the paint to compromise its integrity.

More likely is some issue with the wall surface, roller cover, and technique used.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote