Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Stretch

Share |

Retexturing / Priming walls...

Our fixer-upper homes' walls have three different textures...as we move thru the home with a complete remodel, we want to retexture the walls for uniformity.

To retexture, I plan on doing all the prep myself, then have a professional drywaller come in and apply the retexture itself. My understanding is to apply drywall mud to the walls to make it a smooth surface again, then let the drywaller dude do his thing. The style of texture we will have applied is called tuscan, I believe...where it is applied like frosting a cake...that rough, adobe look.

Should I prime the walls before each layer of mud is applied. Does primer increase the adhesiveness of the next layer of mud, or am I wasting time & effort...Basically I would prime the walls, apply mud to smooth, apply primer again, retexture, apply primer again, then paint.

Thanks in advance!

scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Pro Painter

The only primer step will be after the new texture is applied, just before painting.

The other 2 steps you mentioned are not necessary and are not done by pro drywaller/tapers.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Stretch

Thanks, joewho...that will save me a bunch of time/effort/$$$...
scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

If the surface now has paint, especially with a sheen on it or of questionable condition/quality, then it should be primed first before applying a finish such as this

Technically, even new/bare sheetrock should be primed, but usually this step is skipped by the texture people

The best plan is to contact who ever will be doing the texture, and have them 'spec' it for you
They may have specific preparations that they prefer
Such as prime/no-prime, primer/sealer, brand/type...

It will make the project go much smoother and faster...and cheaper for you, and the tradesman will appreciate that you asked and did the prep to their 'specs'
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote