Resurfacing Hollow Core Doors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Resurfacing hollow core doors

I dont want to replace my doors right now. It just isnt in the budget. Plus extra work to trim down since they arent perfect to size with facotry doors from Lowes or HD. So...I want to pain them. But my dilemma is that they arent flat. They have this raised wood grain surface Im not sure I will like once painted.

I am going white and want to add moulding to create a 6 panel/4 panel look. I think it should be smooth then add the moulding. But I am not sure how. Any ideas or feedback on if it would make a differance?

Thanks!

Advertisement

mpohlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

When you say the doors are not smooth, can you tell us if it is just the grain of the wood that is ruff?? Are you able to take the doors down and give them a good sanding outside?? I only ask this because to sand a door smooth if it is the grain will create some dust, if you dont care about the dust inside is cool. If you could take a pic of the doors, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. You will get better information on how to get to your desired finish.

Your post was good, you explained what you have and what you are hoping for, just going that little bit more will totally help in getting you where you want to go>>

Glad you asked us!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Here is a close up. Hopefully this is a good pic. I hate the blond wood we have in this house. We bought house in foreclosure so that was really the only thing I hated. I am in process of changing it all!!!

Resurfacing hollow core doors-imag0312.jpg
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

MP, you'll be fine, I've painted more than my share of those grain type doors in my day. You will see the grain after painting, but as said, it'll look fine. To attempt to smooth them out with filler would be a real mess and probably look like crap, imo. I'd be more curious to see what profile trim you would use to create the panel look.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

I will post pics when I do it! Ty!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

JS has it. Oak grain shows though, and IMO looks very nice.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

Ok Guys, Joe and Brush and all others watching. I would want to sand, clean dust and prime the doors first before adding any trim. Is that a fair assesment??

This is just my opinion totally!!!!!!!!! Trying to make a flush (flat panel) door look like a six panel door just does not work. Adding the moulding seems to be a great option to sprucing up a door, but it looks like moulding added to spruce up a door. You can not achieve the true recesses that a six panel door has by adding only moulding. The moulding will make it look different, but not like a true six panel. I would totally be happy with the wonderful grain that you have now and with a good primer and finish paint they will look wonderful. \

Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
Ok Guys, Joe and Brush and all others watching. I would want to sand, clean dust and prime the doors first before adding any trim. Is that a fair assesment??

This is just my opinion totally!!!!!!!!! Trying to make a flush (flat panel) door look like a six panel door just does not work. Adding the moulding seems to be a great option to sprucing up a door, but it looks like moulding added to spruce up a door. You can not achieve the true recesses that a six panel door has by adding only moulding. The moulding will make it look different, but not like a true six panel. I would totally be happy with the wonderful grain that you have now and with a good primer and finish paint they will look wonderful. \
I would absolutely do everything possible prior to adding the trim, up to one finish coat. I would also bring the molding to the same point. Attach the molding, putty, caulk, finish. Good point. As to how it would look, I think it would like fine, depending on what molding and how it's applied. While most all panel doors have recessed panels, I have seen raised panels. Doesn't exactly create the same effect, and not exactly panels, but it could look nice. OP, do one lightly nailed and post a pic. Some of the most interesting effects come through experimentation. Good post M.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

My concern is that if these doors are hollow? Moulding is going to have to get glued on or something since there is nothing to nail to but here and there? Changes in humidity and temp just to start are going to raise havoc and warp at least wood trim. Maybe faux foam would work. One person with a temper slamming something is going to pop the faux trim right off?

I admit I am in a terrible no more faux anything mood but I don't see this working long term. And indeed, I agree that gluing moulding on a contemporary door trying to make it look like a panel door? Is going to look like you glued moulding on a contemporary door to make it look like a panel door no matter how you caulk it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 558

You can glue on veneer if you want a smooth finish and they come in 4’ x 8’ sheets.
Here’s a link: http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/products.html
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

I don't know why I glossed over the panelled thing, but I also think it will not work well.
The doors are what they are- paint them and they will look nice. Try and trick them up may mean disaster.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Try and trick them up may mean disaster.
Yup!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #13

Well These are up upstairs doors...Do you think them painted white and the trim white is going to look ok?

Also here is my kitchen. I have already painted the cabinets that were that awful Blond wood. I need to get doors done now.

Name:  kitchen.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  7.1 KB

Resurfacing hollow core doors-upstairs-doors.jpg
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

those doors look great painted with that grain. here what i would do zinsser cover stain oil bonding primer .then 2 coats top quality latex semi.ok now notice i'm not using the abrevation.in my humble opinion i think adding moulding to a door screams handy man .sorry no offence to handy men ,i'm just saying
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #15

I refinished some flat cabinet doors, added a base cap moulding in picture frame style. Then added cut out squares of the laminate flooring the homeowner had me install, into the picture frames. Very tricky cutting. but the final look really pleased the customer. Looked very Swedish (ok Joe where is my dictionary, lol) which is what she wanted.

I only posted this to show that there are very different ways to add to a door priovided you have the equipment and the time to get all the doors you want done--done. One would not work if all the rest were different.

Advertisement