Results For Diy Concrete Stains? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: DIY concrete acid stains
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
DIY concrete acid stains

Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

results for diy concrete stains?

I have a good sized covered patio that is in decent shape but it stained discolored, ugly. Yes, I've power washed it many times, don't know if it's just me but power washing leaves it more uneven, clean where the spray hit hardest, dirty where it didn't. I've looked up info on concrete acid stains and am thinking of going with this. Has anyone done it themselves and what results did you have? Any tips, recommended brands? I'll try to post a pic of the look I'm going for.

Advertisement

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

I have used H & C concrete stains with good results......usually have to reapply every 2 to 3 years but my concrete patio takes a lot of abuse......sun, rain, snow, shovelling, leaf blowing, grill grease, so I am fairly pleased that it lasts that long.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
annie68164 (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

i have done acid staining for years. some colors take better than others. there are many variables with acid stains that can only be learned from experience. application, hard troweled concrete, broom finish,weathered concrete type of concrete mix, the list goes on. most of your blue and green colors wont hold up well in sunlight due to copper pigment in the stain that will turn black over time. you can use the same acid stain mix on two different slabs and get totally different results. for more consistant results i like to use a cementitious micro topping which is a thin base coat of concrete the takes acid stain very well. for more safe and user friendly products i like to use eco-stain from surecrete design products. the colors are very close to what the color charts reflect but all concrete is a different starting canvas so results will vary. i would leave the acid staining for an experienced installer.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
annie68164 (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I can certainly picture what you're saying about different results on different concrete surfaces. part of my patio seems broom trowled, and up by the door is super smooth and doesn't look absorbant at all. (quite slick in fact when it's wet and you're barefoot!) I'll research that thin concrete overlay deal you mentioned, sounds like I would need that for even results. I'm very artistic with paint/stains etc. but have never done this. I do have a huge machine shed I could practice alittle in
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Clean the concrete using a per carbonate. Wash safe sells a great concrete cleaner. You need to use a nylon brush to brush the cleaner around and then let it sit for about ten minutes. Use your power washer to rinse it off moving the wand in even strokes holding it the same distance across the concrete. Improper cleaners and improper power washing results in zebra stripping which is what you described during your cleaning process. If you have any smooth areas of concrete apply an etcher to roughen the surface. H&C makes good concrete stains, including transparent, solid, and acid. After applying your stain apply a clear over it. The clear will enhance it and help it to last longer.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote