Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

Share |

restaining kitchen cabinets

I am on the home stretch of restainig cabinets. I've stripped,sanded,cleaned,sanded,stained,sanded,fill ed holes, sanded. Then sanded. Unfortuntunetly, I used a filler that is not accepting stain. Also, I used waterbased stain by minwax. I cannot purchase waterbased polyurathune, only polycoat. Can I uas an oil based polyurathane? Must I restrip to hide the defects repaired w/ the nail filler? Thank You

Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #2

If your heart is set on wood look you can paint them with a light brown color and then use Gel Stain. Water based flat paint. I've redone a outdoor composite door on my house 43 times over the last 12 years this way. It is a very expensive leaded glass door so I wouldn't tell you this works unless I knew this ($4000). We did this after checking with a "door company" that made fine doors including metal, composite and wood.
You can also check with people in good paint stores that specialize in faux finishes to see what they have to say.
Most wood putty doesn't accept stain well but comes in several colors because of this. Cover with 3 coats of polyurethane - sand with very fine sand paper - very lightly and wipe down well btw coats.

agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

I had already completed restaining doors and facing. My question was about covereing the areas that did not accept the new stain color. Your advice about poly then putty worked great. Many thanks. I lightly and ever so carefully sanded out the problem spots then did as you suggested. Thank you again.
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote