Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

restaining deck with straight balusters

I have to remove old stain and apply new stain to a deck.. but first I have to buy some new pressure treated pieces of wood to make some repairs.
I will will stain in the spring to let the wood dry out. When staining in the spring, I wanted to know if there is any special preparation that needs to be done becuase some of the wood is brand new while some of the other stuff is 8 -10 years old.

The deck is 500 sq feet, and the balusters may or may not be stained as well (they are the straight type, not rounded). would you recommend not doing the balusters due to a high level of difficulty?

Is it possible to use the power washer to clean the balusters? if not, what is the recommended method?

I was planning on using Sherwin Williams Deckscapes. They recommend that I need two coats.

Is there anything I should change about my method?

Approximately how long would this take? 1 day (8 hours)? 2 days (16 hours?)

thanks
-g

gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #2

I am wondering if old wood (previously stained) and new wood (unstained) would take a stain differently?? Hope some of the pros chime in here. If so maybe doing the pickets in a different color might be a good choice.

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

I just finished staining new cedar decking and balusters very similar to yours. I also used Deckscapes stain. On new cedar I found if you tried to apply more than one coat of stain to the deck boards it took a long time to dry. Even waiting days between the first and second coat. The balusters only took one coat. I used rough cut cedar for the rest of the rail system and it also only took one coat of Deckscapes. Both the balusters and rails dried quickly. I don't know if this helps you since my experience is based on new cedar.
jwsmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #4

usually wood should dry out for a season before any staining. that is probably why it took you days to dry
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

does anyone have an answer to my questions?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps416 View Post
does anyone have an answer to my questions?
What type of stain will you be using? Solid? Semi-transparent? Transparent? Either way you shouldn't wait until the spring if you've put new wood on your deck and your deck coating is now failing. Read my blog on my site http://www.kelloggspainting.com/blog...Wood-Care.aspx
When cleaning the deck for new stain use a sodium percarbonte based deck cleaner and not a bleach product. If you are going to be applying a semi-transparent or transparent stain then you will need to strip the old stain using an alkilyne based staine stripper followed by a netralizer/brightner which is an acid. If your applying a solid stain then clean the deck, sand as needed and apply stain.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

I will use a solid stain.