Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10
Share |
Default

Reparing sheetrock


We have removed wallpaper from sheetrock, and large sections of the sheetrock paper came with it. We knew this was a problem, but the wallpaper was coming down, and we could not paint over. Basically, we have refloated and that came out better than expected. I have a related question. Should we have primed that torn up sheetrock with anything before floating, and if so, with what?

abelsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Quote:
Originally Posted by abelsu View Post
Should we have primed that torn up sheetrock with anything before floating, and if so, with what?
Yes

Zinsser's Gardz would have been ideal
That's what it's made for

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Reparing sheetrock


I've done hundreds of drywall repairs and floated entire homes (walls and ceilings) without any primer and never had a problem.

Just my experience but I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-28-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Advertising Link removed
Rick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Reparing sheetrock


I agree about priming after coating. 'Priming before' also causes the compound to take much longer to dry since it keeps the moisture in the mud.
Even when we do repairs (Water damaged ceilings) we prime after it's patched and coated (aka -'floated'). Priming and stain killing first makes it difficult for the compound to stick to the surface of the area...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Pro Painter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: northwest suburbs chicago
Posts: 448
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Priming for this application is to keep the drywall paper from bubbling up when water based mud is applied. Gardz is really good for that. After wallpaper removal, bubbles are notorious.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01 View Post
I've done hundreds of drywall repairs and floated entire homes (walls and ceilings) without any primer and never had a problem.

Just my experience but I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I agree about priming after coating. 'Priming before' also causes the compound to take much longer to dry since it keeps the moisture in the mud.
Even when we do repairs (Water damaged ceilings) we prime after it's patched and coated (aka -'floated'). Priming and stain killing first makes it difficult for the compound to stick to the surface of the area...
Seriously guys, if this was just a "should I prime before patching" maybe it wouldn't matter, or for a water damage repair or a patch of almost any sort

But this is a wallpaper removal with massive sheetrock "paper" damage/missing

Just slapping the mud on this is just begging for trouble
You might "get away with it" a few times
But I can not recommend it
The chance of failure is too high

Damaged substrate of this nature requires a specific sealer before mudding
Oil-based primer should work OK, but why bother, Gardz is better
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Seriously guys, if this was just a "should I prime before patching" maybe it wouldn't matter, or for a water damage repair or a patch of almost any sort

But this is a wallpaper removal with massive sheetrock "paper" damage/missing

Just slapping the mud on this is just begging for trouble
You might "get away with it" a few times
But I can not recommend it
The chance of failure is too high

Damaged substrate of this nature requires a specific sealer before mudding
Oil-based primer should work OK, but why bother, Gardz is better
Ah...I do see ........

......your point about previously wall papered drywall....with issues.

Sometimes I am very guilty of not reading posts carefully enough...

Yes, I can understand the concept of priming and 'sealing' the surface prior to coating - or as they say 'floating' in some parts of the country... Wallpapered areas with a mess left on the walls can ruin any taping or coating work that is done 'over it'....So, yes i can see your advice regarding the practice of priming 'before'...makes sense now...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Thanks for all the input. I wish I would have found this forum before undertaking the job, but so far, I think we got lucky. It came out OK, but massive numbers of bubbles and blisters after the first coat or two of mud. None now after priming and painting.

Again, thanks for all the input.
abelsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

Reparing sheetrock


Thanks for the update
Sounds like its holding OK
The blisters are annoying, but can be dealt with


Thanks for posting up
I'm sure it'll help someone else

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheetrock question Vengence Remodeling 4 07-13-2007 10:42 AM
Sheetrock nightmare MRZ Painting 12 05-25-2007 09:23 PM
pipe leak & sheetrock damage santogr General DIY Discussions 2 03-04-2007 01:44 PM
Need Sheetrock repair advice Giterdone Carpentry 6 02-03-2007 08:38 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.