Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repairing painting mistakes

I recently painted my living area with a light beige color. The color was from a Behr color sample Brown Teepee 700D-4. I did not use Behr paint. I used Sherwin Williams Duration paint in a Matte finish over Sherwin Williams primer bought at the same time and tinted.

Issue #1: In a couple places, I have some paint runs. I assume I can sand these down once the paint cures and repaint those small areas / touch up? How long do I have to wait before sanding them down?

Issue #2: After about 2 weeks of repairing nail pops, etc I neglected to totally clean the walls. Stupid mistake I know. One spot I missed had something spilled on it and as it turns out, had some texture to it so when the light hits it just right, you can see it as it is slightly raised from the wall. This is in an area of maybe 2 square feet. I assume I can likewise sand this down and re-paint that area (or will I need to do the whole wall again?). This is not a big issue as you have to be right up against the wall and looking for it to notice.

Question: I have the roller used wrapped in tin foil then a plastic bag and in the fridge. How long will this stay wet and will it be usable for the repairs above?

Thanks

mattg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would scrape out the paint and clean the roller. i don't like to store a roller like that for more than a few days. As for touching up, i would plan on painting the entire wall. It is virtually impossible to match the exact texture when you originally coated, so the spot(s) will flash.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Likely you will need to repaint the wall after sanding. However! Matte paints tend to touch up much better than other sheens. So, it would be worth trying to touch up the spots you mention after sanding.
Rollers are cheap, especially the one suitable for flat paints. Don't skimp on a $5 roller with $80 worth of paint.
adam1885282 is offline   Reply With Quote