Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

repairing old wainscoting

This wainscoting has been on our kitchen walls for probably 70-80 years. My husband repainted it about 8 years ago. Still looks great except for between some seams where the paint has like pulled apart leaving rows of holes in the paint. I know I can touch up the paint, because I did it months ago with the original paint on just flat areas that got nicked and it's holding up just fine. I'd like to repair these other spots but I don't want to make matters worse for some day down the road. Can I put paintable caulk in those seams right over the holes in the paint and then touch them up with the paint? I can send a picture if somebody wants to see what I'm talking about. Thank you.

dlhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Hello dlhein
Yes now would be the best time to fill the gaps with the caulk. cut a small small angle on the tube. and push the caulking into the seams that need to be filled, once filled wipe the excess off with a wet sponge. this way you don't fill in the profile of the bead board. ? whats left ! with the 80 some what years of paint build up. you will notice that when the summer season sets in the bead board will start to close the gaps again. I have the same situation with my 120 year old house. The hotter the house gets the seams start pulling the paint away from the next board. Good luck BOB.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

That's a job for a good, paint-able, caulk
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #4

Thank you! When you "now would be the best time", do you mean because it's winter or before it gets worse? And can I just put the caulk over the paint that's pulling away from itself? I mean will it hold in that situation. I don't want to start scraping away loose paint if it isn't necessary and end up making a bigger project and messing up any of the wainscoting that looks good, which is most of it. And if I take a chance and just put the caulk over the splits in the paint and it doesn't hold up, will I later be able to get the caulk out and redo it the more-work way -- chipping out the paint, sanding and then caulking? I hope you are understanding what I'm trying to say. Thank you
Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I understand what your going through. I have the same situation with my bead board. The bead board will change with the climate. winter season when the heat is on will have an affect on the board. it will shrink. and during the humid seasons it will expand. What I just did with mine was to paint over the exposed seam. I have also caulked the seam,and then painted over it. but during the summer months I noticed that the boars expanded and the caulking was being compressed, which was noticeable. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Thanks again. Sounds like it will never be perfect anyway because of the weather, so I'll just try both ways.