Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing gauges around tub surround

I'm attempting to repair uneven, jagged gauges around my tub surround that run 1/4" - maybe a little larger and a couple of 1/2" or so holes at the bottom. Should I use spackle, joint compound or caulk and spackle to repair? Also there was silicone caulk in the same area which I've removed most but there is some residue. Can I repair over the residue? Whatever the recommendatino, do I prime and what type would you recommend. Since the surround is outside the tub, not exposed to alot of water, would I use a latex caulk, which brand would you recommend? Thanks for any help

debbieindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #2

Debbie, even with all that info, I still haven't a clue what you're talking about. What are gauges? Pressure gauges? Temperature gauges? Just teasing. What type of substrate is your surround? A tub surround that is outside the tub is called a wall, is that what you're talking about?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Still not sure I understand but gouges are .25 to .5" long, deep or wide? .5 wide or deep would be stretching the limits of any caulk. In such cases I would use hot mud to fill the cavities. Finish joint between surround and wall with kitchen and bath caulk. If you have silicone you will have to dig it out. Nothing will stick to it or seal up to it. Not even more silicone.

K&B caulk has a biocide to prevent mold, algae, etc. You can prime/paint it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

A picture would be real helpful.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote