Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Repainting wooden floors

I want to repaint a wooden floor. I think the paint that is down now is porch paint, with polyurethane. It sure wasn't very durable though. Do I have to sand the whole floor before I repaint? What paint should I repaint with?

MaryCooksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Repainting wooden floors

I would scrape or peel off a small sample of the current coating and take it to a reputable paint store. They will be able to tell you what you have now and what you need to do to repaint it.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Repainting wooden floors

You have to remove any and all peeling paint by using an orbital sander with 80-grit sandpaper, then smooth it with 120-grit. If you have a large porch or a lot of damage, you can use a portable belt sander with 80-grit sandpaper to speed the process followed with the 120-grit on the orbital sander you can also use a block sander for small areas and edges.
You mention that the existing paint has a polyurethane finish. You can apply a liquid de-glosser and let it dry to remove the gloss or just sand everything. Now if you had to sand down to bare wood to remove blemishes and damage you should remove all rotted wood and replace with new before you primer and paint. Fill any deep gashes with wood putty or a two part epoxy such as PC Woody. Wood putty is easier to work with, but the epoxy is much harder and more durable. Let it dry and sand smooth.
Just before you start painting, sweep the floor to remove any dust and debris that might stick to the paint and when that is done start painting the edges and trim first with a bristle brush. Then paint the main part of the floor with a roller. Work from a far edge towards an exit. Don't paint yourself into a corner and let the paint dry according to the directions on the paint can before walking on it. As for the paint I would use a good quality exterior oil primer and paint.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Repainting wooden floors

Clean floor, sand floor, get some tak clothes, clean floor again. Benjamin Moore makes a good floor paint go to your local hardware store and they will point you in the right direction.
We do floors!
Attached Thumbnails
Repainting wooden floors-001_op_647x485.jpg   Repainting wooden floors-010_op_647x485.jpg  
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5

Repainting wooden floors

Just saw this post with some cool pictures. I never would have thought of painting wood floors, but it can solve many problems with older floors that are pretty worn.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/12173.shtml
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote