Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Share |

Repainting wood rotted trim and facia

I am painting an old houses exterior trim, porch and facia and one of the biggest problems Im having in prepping for paint is that the wood has been rotted out in some visible spots such as two pillars which are about 3 feet by 3 feet. I was wondering if I could use some wood filler to mold some of the corners of the pillars back into the shape of the pre-existing wood and then put paint on it, or do I need to completely replace the wood before painting. The HO do not care from what I can tell right now, but what they do want is a paint job to last for 6 years versus repainting it all again next year. Am I wasting my time with wood filler? Thanks.

j.leonard78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Renovations contractor

Speculating somewhat as obviously haven't seen it but any more than surface rot which is sandable and you should replace the wood.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Take a look at the wood restoration products from Abatron if your clients will pay the piper. Great wood restoration products and stellar customer service. I found them years ago when restoring sailboats. I have used the products many times in restoring antique homes. You might first experience some sticker shock but their stuff is well worth it.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre...nproducts.html
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.leonard78 View Post
I am painting an old houses exterior trim, porch and facia and one of the biggest problems Im having in prepping for paint is that the wood has been rotted out in some visible spots such as two pillars which are about 3 feet by 3 feet. I was wondering if I could use some wood filler to mold some of the corners of the pillars back into the shape of the pre-existing wood and then put paint on it, or do I need to completely replace the wood before painting. The HO do not care from what I can tell right now, but what they do want is a paint job to last for 6 years versus repainting it all again next year. Am I wasting my time with wood filler? Thanks.

You can get this at Lowes or home Depot.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIoBEPMCMAc
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Speculating somewhat as obviously haven't seen it but any more than surface rot which is sandable and you should replace the wood.
And replacing the wood is a lot easier than you think. It damn well may save you time NOW not to mantion time down the road when more of it rots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Take a look at the wood restoration products from Abatron if your clients will pay the piper. Great wood restoration products and stellar customer service. I found them years ago when restoring sailboats. I have used the products many times in restoring antique homes. You might first experience some sticker shock but their stuff is well worth it.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre...nproducts.html
Abatron makes great restoration products. They are pricey, but are one of the best I have used and you can even add dye to achieve certain colors for staining over. Abatron is our go to product for wood restoration.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

How bad is the rot? Did you stab with an awl (or even a small screwdriver) to see how deep the rot is?

pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote