Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Repainting a Sand Textured Bathroom Ceiling

Hi...a corner of our bathroom ceiling has some water damage/stain from years ago that I would like to repaint. The ceiling has a sand texture and I will need to sand some of the water stain area as the paint is pealing. I just do not know how to tackle this since the water stain area will have little if any sand texture left after I sand it. Should I paint the whole ceiling with a textured paint to match? Should I just paint the part of the ceiling with textured paint where the stain was and the rest with regular white latex?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

wxologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

It's up to you. If you're rather fussy about how things look, redo the whole ceiling. If it doesn't bug you too much, you can apply some sand-textured paint to your patched area and call it a day. If it were me, I would just redo the whole ceiling. Since it's a bathroom, it can't be too large of an area & won't take that much more of your time.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
ltd

are you talking bout a sand texture mixed into your paint ? if so put a small amount of sand texture in small amount of paint ,enough to go over bad area. let it dry then paint whole ceiling with the remainder of the paint that has no sand in it . if your talking bout the sand texture paint that is like thin out joint compound, same thing just go over patch let dry then paint whole ceiling with regular paint. then stand their and look at it and say look honey i did it p/s you have to seal in water stain for a small patch. you can use a rattle can of bin primer or its equivalent

Last edited by ltd; 10-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

[quote=ltd;756605]are you talking bout a sand texture mixed into your paint ? if so put a small amount of sand texture in small amount of paint ,enough to go over bad area. let it dry then paint whole ceiling with the remainder of the paint that has no sand in it . if your talking bout the sand texture paint that is like thin out joint compound, same thing just go over patch let dry then paint whole ceiling with regular paint. then stand their and look at it and say look honey i did it p/s you have to seal in water stain for a small patch. you can use a rattle can of bin primer or its equivalent[/quote]

There is no equivalent
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

You know Chris your kinda a black and white, no two ways about it kinda guy. Too much.
Insul X makes a pigmented shellac.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You know Chris your kinda a black and white, no two ways about it kinda guy. Too much.
Insul X makes a pigmented shellac.
In a spray can? If so, I did not kow that.I am really not so black and white, really.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote