Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Wanna-be Home Improver

Share |

Repainting/refinishing wood siding

My wife and I will be buying a new home within the next year to year and a half. Our current home has the original wood siding on it. We had thought about putting vinyl siding on the house in order to prepare it to sell, but after some thought we've decided to just put a fresh coat of paint on it. Only one side of the house really has much chipping/peeling. There are numerous layers of paint on the house so the areas that are chipped will have some fairly deep voids left behind after scraping. I'm looking for recommendations on products to use on this project. There surely has to be something out there to fill the low spots and provide a nice, flat surface before paint. Also, if there's a recommended procedure (ie, priming and then painting or whatever), I'm all ears. I'd love some recommendations on paint products as well. I don't want to spend $300 on a 5 gallon bucket of paint (like this ceramic paint product that I researched) but I'd like something that will look great and will have some decent life for the next homeowner.

Thanks so much for the help. This is a great site and a great community.

Josh
jtchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

No filler that I've ever heard of.
The bad part is if that house is so old and it has that many layers of paint it's sure to be lead based paint.
Peel Away II, UV paint striper, sand blasting, mechanical sripping.
Anyway you look at it a lot of work and time.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Abatron makes some of the best wood restoration products out there but they are pricey. They perform well and are a delight to use though. WoodEpox would be great for your application as you can use it for any size hole or void and it will not shrink on you. It is a two part epoxy system you mix together. With Abatron you will always get products that have not expired. Watch out if you buy from box stores that often sell outdated epoxies. Nothing worse than epoxy that will not cure.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre.../woodepox.html

If you need to strip paint, rent an infrared stripper. Watch the need for lead abatement! Wear protective clothing.

Last edited by user1007; 03-28-2012 at 04:32 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchavez View Post
My wife and I will be buying a new home within the next year to year and a half. Our current home has the original wood siding on it. We had thought about putting vinyl siding on the house in order to prepare it to sell, but after some thought we've decided to just put a fresh coat of paint on it. Only one side of the house really has much chipping/peeling. There are numerous layers of paint on the house so the areas that are chipped will have some fairly deep voids left behind after scraping. I'm looking for recommendations on products to use on this project. There surely has to be something out there to fill the low spots and provide a nice, flat surface before paint. Also, if there's a recommended procedure (ie, priming and then painting or whatever), I'm all ears. I'd love some recommendations on paint products as well. I don't want to spend $300 on a 5 gallon bucket of paint (like this ceramic paint product that I researched) but I'd like something that will look great and will have some decent life for the next homeowner.

Thanks so much for the help. This is a great site and a great community.

Josh
You will have to pay for quality, thats just the way it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

A palm sander with an agressive 60 or 80 grit will make quick work of feathering out the peeling areas. It does take a little time but the results are WELL WELL WELL worth the effort.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Abatron makes some of the best wood restoration products out there but they are pricey. They perform well and are a delight to use though. WoodEpox would be great for your application as you can use it for any size hole or void and it will not shrink on you. It is a two part epoxy system you mix together. With Abatron you will always get products that have not expired. Watch out if you buy from box stores that often sell outdated epoxies. Nothing worse than epoxy that will not cure.

If you need to strip paint, rent an infrared stripper. Watch the need for lead abatement! Wear protective clothing.
We use Abatron often. They make excellent wood restoration products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

If you aren't going to completely strip it, prime it with Peel-Bond from XIM. It is a great primer and can be applied 30-40 mils thick to even-out the surface. Use a low-sheen acrylic house paint over this. They weather cleaner than flats and have a sharper, more ey-catching look to them. Just what a home buyer is looking for,,,
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

Abatron makes great wood restoration products. I use them often.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote