Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Repainting over ???

Greetings--

Room 1-- sheet rock walls. Old flat latex? paint underneath newer latex semigloss. We didn't put either of these paints on.

Top coat appears to peal off in small sheets-- like a piece of a balloon. Not all over but in places.

Its time to repaint it. I'd also like to add a bit of a light texture too.

Question-- what needs to be done to repaint this room with flat latex paint ? Sand off the old paint (and thus the wall texture) ? Prime is, texture it and paint , or ???

Room 2- sheetrock walls with semigloss laytex paint on them.
QUestion- Can I just paint over these with flat latex paint or do I need to prime them ?

Room 3- Sheetrock walls with a HEAVY!!! swirled texture, covered with bright red gloss latex paint.

Question--How does one go about removing this obnoxious texture and repainting this room (and ceiling) ? Sand down to sheetrock, retexture and paint ? Rip out all sheetrock, replace ect ?

Room 4- sheetwork walls once covered with glued on Formica panels. Removed formica panels, but this left surface paper tears on sheetrock.

Question-- Can I roll on a texture, then paint these walls or will this require a replacement of the Sheetrock ?

Piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repainting over ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
Room 1--
Top coat appears to peal off in small sheets-- like a piece of a balloon. Not all over but in places.

Question-- what needs to be done to repaint this room with flat latex paint ? Sand off the old paint (and thus the wall texture) ? Prime is, texture it and paint , or ???
Yes
Remove all the loose paint you can
Sand if needed
prime with a problem-solving primer
Texture/Prime again (depends on texture)
Paint
Quote:
Room 2- sheetrock walls with semigloss laytex paint on them.
QUestion- Can I just paint over these with flat latex paint or do I need to prime them ?
Cleaning and a nice scuff sanding will suffice
Scuff sanding means a light sanding to give the new paint something to hold onto
Quote:
Room 3- Sheetrock walls with a HEAVY!!! swirled texture, covered with bright red gloss latex paint.

Question--How does one go about removing this obnoxious texture and repainting this room (and ceiling) ? Sand down to sheetrock, retexture and paint ? Rip out all sheetrock, replace ect ?
Hard to say if there's another choice w/o seeing it, but prolly re-rocking it is the best (or only) choice
Quote:
Room 4- sheetwork walls once covered with glued on Formica panels. Removed formica panels, but this left surface paper tears on sheetrock.

Question-- Can I roll on a texture, then paint these walls or will this require a replacement of the Sheetrock ?
You can prime with a problem solving primer (in this case I'd recommend Gardz), then fill in the repair areas with joint compound (it may take more then one coat), sand smooth, prime the repairs (regular primer will work for this step), then paint

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Painting Contractor

Repainting over ???

picturing this house in my mind is making me go nuts
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #4

Repainting over ???

Here's a pic of the heavily textured wall . Its the best one I've got, although it might not show much. The texture was troweled on to cover gouges left in walls from removal of panneling. Its pretty thick, "swirley" texture. Its on the walls and ceiling in this bedroom and the hallway ceiling too. We didnt do it... realy...LOL

I guess it would be too much sanding. Other posts suggest wetting this texture and scraping it off, then sanding and retexturing. Its a glossy paint on the surface so that is probably not the answer. I'm afraid that replacing all the sheetrock may be the answer--but thought I'd ask folks first
*sigh*
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #5

Repainting over ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
picturing this house in my mind is making me go nuts

And.. its not even your property LOL

Old house with little (ok NO...) cosmetic upkeep by the previous owners.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Repainting over ???

Hey, at least you've found a good resource to help you out....we'll try our best. I got a bit overwhelmed by all the questions all at once. You can trust slick though. I would just be repeating what he said, so that's why I made a 'funny' instead....
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #7

Repainting over ???

I read over some info on the Zinzer web site. With regard to the Room # 4--Their info implies to skim cost the entire wall. Is your suggestion to skim coat the entire wall or just over the torn spots ?

Thanks again for the info !
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Repainting over ???

Quote:
I read over some info on the Zinzer web site. With regard to the Room # 4--Their info implies to skim cost the entire wall. Is your suggestion to skim coat the entire wall or just over the torn spots ?

Thanks again for the info !
You could skim the wall, are you good with mud? You need at least an 8" knife or taping knife. Thin coats is the key. You want to put the mud on in sheets to avoid too much sanding. Also, if you put the mud on too thick, it could crack from shrinkage. At this point, this sounds like the logical thing to do. I suggest doing a search on the net that shows you step by step pictures of this project. After all, you want it to look half way decent when it's done...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repainting over ???

I wouldn't skim the entire wall unless I absolutely had to
I'd def. try and just do the torn areas
But that depends on how much/how bad it is
...and mudding isn't one of my strong points

The good mudders, I can see why they would just do the whole wall
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Repainting over ???

You're being stuck with a few rooms of crap. Everything to make this the most difficult work has been done. Just tell the HO that they all need new drywall. Drywall on top of the formica and tear out the drywall on the other rooms.

You're headed for headaches that you won't get paid for in the end.

However, the red walls can be sanded with 80 grit to break through the paint, then saturate with water to get the mud wet. It will scrape off easily. But that leaves you with junk, just like the last guy who tried to cover it up with texture. Might be easier and better to just tear it out and fresh drywall.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #11

Repainting over ???

For the room with the texture if it was my house I'd replace the sheetrock. If it was a customers house I'd recommend they do the same.

Seeing as how it seems this isn't your house though I wouldn't spend the money. I'd just run over it quick with some sandpaper, skim it, sand it, and repeat until it's smooth. When you skimcoat thin out the mud, don't try to use it at the thickness they leave it at in the bucket. Another option is to get 1/4in sheetrock and put it right over what you have now. I've seen this done before and if done right it looks good and holds up. Just mind the moldings and outlets with this one.

Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote