Repainting Our Aluminum-sided "Castle" - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repainting our aluminum-sided "Castle"

Hi,
I have silly question, but I would be remiss not asking here because I know there are great minds and skills visiting and helping out in this forum
I am a new homeowner and the property is wonderful, but out home (a rancher, in southern New Jersey) is a BOORING white and is chalky, in need of some fresh paint- my summer fun LOL..
I want to repaint, probably tackling the front and sides and saving the back for next summer's fun.
Question: should I have someone Pressure Wash it for me as a prep, or, maybe just using a bristle brush and some cleanser? (What cleaner is suggested as well).
We are near Lowes and Home Depot, so I would probably rely on their stock paints, hopefully SW as I have read good things about their stuff.
Thanks a MILLION for any and all advice.

Advertisement

BobGerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Why not go on the Sherwin Williams web site? There's all the prep work needed to paint aluminum siding on there site.
If it was mine I would use there Super Paint.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Find a real paint store and buy real paint. Lowe's and HD carry horrible stuff and do not have SW or Benjamin Moore products.

Powerwashing can be great but if you have the patience you will do just fine with a brush and rinsable detergent.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,304

Dozens of threads on here about aluminum siding. Joe and SD have it right. Clean it thoroughly any way you can. Pressure washing is fine but a soft bristled brush on a pole cleans a lot too. You can spray on some cleaner like Jomax, SuperGreen, or RedBull on the siding with a garden sprayer to let it work. Then you can come along with your brush or PW and knock off the chalk and dirt. Once it's dry, two coats of your favorite paint.........been using SuperPaint on Aluminum siding for 33 years with no problems.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. It might be easier than I thought now
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Pressure-washing is good for dirt and grime, but even if the chalk seems to be coming off while it's being wased, when dry, there is still chalk remaining. Do the brushing with cleaners lik Jomax of Krud-Kutter house wash. Look fo a good primer with chalk-binding properties. We have had great results with Seal-Krete original formula on chalky metal. You will be amazed.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Look fo a good primer with chalk-binding properties. We have had great results with Seal-Krete original formula on chalky metal. You will be amazed.
You suggest I use primer and then the house paint?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Yes; there will be a light chalk remaining no matter how carefully you wash it. Ask your dealer for a surface-conditioner primer. Like I said before - Seal Krete Original Formula is a clear acrylic emulsion that will tie down any chalk and provide an excellent foundation for your finish paint. You should be able to find it at most any dealer or even the box-stores.

Advertisement

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote