Repainting An Old Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Repainting an old deck

I bought a home 18 months ago and when I bought it the deck on the back of the house was painted a forest green color. I could tell it looked freshly painted. Later last summer I noticed that the paint on the deck had started peeling a bit and by the end of summer it looked quite bad.

I plan to replace the deck either in 2012 or 2013. In the meantime I'd like to repaint it and I've prefer the paint be able to last 2 years. I do not know what type of paint was used on the last painting. However, I can tell you that the paint peels off easily and has an elastic type of feel to it. If I pull on the curled up paint it stretches like rubber. Can I assume this is latex? It has a shiney look to it so maybe a gloss or semigloss latex?

What paint would you recommend I use to repaint the deck. I thought I would pressure wash it and use a scraper to get all the lose stuff off and then slap some paint on. I don't need it to look "mansion quality". I just want it to last a few years until I can tear the deck down and build a new modern deck.

Advertisement

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repainting an old deck

I would guess some sort of latex from your description but if it could be a solid color stain product of some kind two. Sounds like the sellers put something quick and perhaps inappropriate on to sell the place.

I would be tempted to try a latex floor and paint product with some UV protection in it over a nicely prepped surface. If that deck had remnants of wax based sealers on it, not much is going to stick to it for long.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Repainting an old deck

i wouldnt waste the time or money on that deck .....just slap the cheapest stuff you can find on it and get another year out of it then get your new deck
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Repainting an old deck

Since I don't know of any semi-gloss/gloss decking stains, it sounds like they put paint down. Does it peel down to bare wood? Just a curiosity, cause if it is paint, I'm seconding Ole's advice. Just hit it up with something to enjoy it for the summer and do your deck in 2011. If they put paint down, especially if over bare wood, it's all coming off in time. A complete strip is the only way to go, which will be time consuming and costly, and too much if you're planning to replace it that soon.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #5

Repainting an old deck

Yes the paint peels off directly down to bare wood. I'm ceratin it's paint and not stain. I'm sure they just put a fresh band-aid on it immediately before putting the house on the market. I'll just take a piece of the peeled paint and get it color matched and use an exterior paint to touch it up. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Repainting an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Yes the paint peels off directly down to bare wood. I'm ceratin it's paint and not stain. I'm sure they just put a fresh band-aid on it immediately before putting the house on the market. I'll just take a piece of the peeled paint and get it color matched and use an exterior paint to touch it up. Thanks.
Ain't that some sh**? People who slap paint around on their way out the door are a pet peeve of mine. It's thoughtless, uncaring, and self-serving, and leaves a lot of new homeowners with problems, sometimes very expensive problems, on their hands, as you have now. And, the worst part of it is that "professional" painters will do it knowing, uncaringly, that it will be a problem for future homeowners. You should lose your stripes for that. No matter that that's what the customer wants or is only willing to pay for. Stand up. I've told homeowners in the past that I won't do certain things a certain way for that reason, and basically telling them I can't be party to screwing the next homeowner. I've only ever had one homeowner express her desire to do it right, and she put her money where her mouth was. I told her so, applauded her, and she said that that's a sad fact. There are ways to do things on the cheap that won't be harmful in the long run. Speedster, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that the green paint was surplus material that a paint contractor had laying around and knowingly slapped it down with the customers approval. That's how disillusioned I am.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Repainting an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Ain't that some sh**? People who slap paint around on their way out the door are a pet peeve of mine. It's thoughtless, uncaring, and self-serving, and leaves a lot of new homeowners with problems, sometimes very expensive problems, on their hands, as you have now. And, the worst part of it is that "professional" painters will do it knowing, uncaringly, that it will be a problem for future homeowners..

i cringe when somebody tells me they just got a new house and it was painted prior ......................ouch!!! i can only imagine...........theres an old rule of thumb ''never paint a deck''
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Repainting an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Ain't that some sh**? People who slap paint around on their way out the door are a pet peeve of mine. It's thoughtless, uncaring, and self-serving, and leaves a lot of new homeowners with problems, sometimes very expensive problems, on their hands, as you have now. And, the worst part of it is that "professional" painters will do it knowing, uncaringly, that it will be a problem for future homeowners. You should lose your stripes for that. No matter that that's what the customer wants or is only willing to pay for. Stand up. I've told homeowners in the past that I won't do certain things a certain way for that reason, and basically telling them I can't be party to screwing the next homeowner. I've only ever had one homeowner express her desire to do it right, and she put her money where her mouth was. I told her so, applauded her, and she said that that's a sad fact. There are ways to do things on the cheap that won't be harmful in the long run. Speedster, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that the green paint was surplus material that a paint contractor had laying around and knowingly slapped it down with the customers approval. That's how disillusioned I am.
Yes it sucks. And now it's my problem.

I had a home inspection done at the time of purchase and the inspector noted that the deck was safe but he recommended replacement. One of the first things my wife and I said when seeing the deck was , "We'll rip that down and build a nicer one in a few years."

The house was owned by a senior who had to be put into a home and his kids were tasked with getting the house ready for resale. I believe they did most of the work themselves and that includes painting. Some of their work was fine while other work was half assed. The deck is an example of that.

You can bet that when I build the new deck it will not be painted
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Repainting an old deck

We're battling something similar. Moved in 3 yrs ago (deck was built in '05 and covered with something that was not deck stain. Either it was a latex or acrylic deck stain. Whatever it was, it was wrong), 2 years ago we had the deck painted and tried to follow suit to what was there. It was done with an acrylic deck stain in grey (same shade as original that was there) a BM product. It began to peel within a year and now another year later we're faced with having to do something.

Wanting to do the right thing; strip 700+ square feet and then stain it, we're faced with a dilemma- we were recommended to use Wolman stripper to remove acrylic, but after 2 weeks of searching cant find it and will not pay shipping to buy it online without knowing it will work. Tried another stripper which DH thought would come off easily after sitting, brushing in and power washing (had to refill the gas twice in the power washer for a tiny test area on the rear stairs which run around 10 feet wide with 3 steps)

Totally fustrated we will probably have to go back to an acrylic. :-(

Advertisement

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote