Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

repainting an oil painted flaking bathroom ceiling

The house is 48 years old. About 15-20 years ago it was repainted with unknown oil paint over builder's original flat ceiling finish- type not known. The bathroom has been inadequately ventilated for most of this time. I have just added a ceiling fan. I have scraped off the flaking paint but am unsure how to proceed. I see previous posts dealing with flaking ceilings and painting with latex over oil-based but I am not sure that they apply to my situation.

marquis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

What sheen was the oil? How much of it was a problem?

My solution would be make sure it is clean from contaminates ( wipe down with a cleaner like Dirtex/ Krud Kutter etc) all loose paint removed, perhaps a quick sand to degloss.
Prime with Gardz - its thin so use a small nap roller.it will penetrate and seal.
Then skim coat with drywall mud, sand smooth, reprime ( gardz again if you want- but most good primer- sealers will do .)
Paint with eggshell 2 coats.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #3

I agree with brushjocky, just if you live in a humid environment, like, hey, who doesnt(?), I would go with satin sheen on ceiling, and for that matter, walls , if you ever get to that. Mold's "hyphae", or "roots" have a tougher time penetrating the higher the sheen. But if your in say, the southwestern US, probably no problem at all with even flat, for that mater.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
What sheen was the oil? How much of it was a problem?

My solution would be make sure it is clean from contaminates ( wipe down with a cleaner like Dirtex/ Krud Kutter etc) all loose paint removed, perhaps a quick sand to degloss.
Prime with Gardz - its thin so use a small nap roller.it will penetrate and seal.
Then skim coat with drywall mud, sand smooth, reprime ( gardz again if you want- but most good primer- sealers will do .)
Paint with eggshell 2 coats.
The oil appears to be a semi-gloss. I don't know if it has changed over the years, I don't think it was ever glossy. Do I prime the whole surface each time?
marquis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

If it was a semi that means it was a semi- glossy paint. The sanding is to get good adhesion to a glossy ( or semi) surface.
The first prime ( Gardz) is to achieve that adhesion and seal up the problem. yes - whole surface.
The second prime is to seal the skim coat- so wherever there is mud, prime it. but it is a bath, so not large- i would prime all for consistency .
Old 11-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
If it was a semi that means it was a semi- glossy paint. The sanding is to get good adhesion to a glossy ( or semi) surface.
The first prime ( Gardz) is to achieve that adhesion and seal up the problem. yes - whole surface.
The second prime is to seal the skim coat- so wherever there is mud, prime it. but it is a bath, so not large- i would prime all for consistency .
Not to get OT, but I have worked on bath ceilings that were bigger than my livingroom
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Not to get OT, but I have worked on bath ceilings that were bigger than my livingroom

Ya but you live in a cardboard box! jk

I have too for that matter. But I've never seen someone who has a bath that size be a DIY painter...
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

Not to hijack the thread but I am doing similar in bathroom, old paint, mold and when i washed wall flakes came off revealing the drywall in various places one large spot is 2" x 10". can i just prime it, add thin layer of mud, reprime then repaint ?
the_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Same advise- but you need to kill the mold- a weak solution of bleach will do it- then follow above advise.

the_wanderer (11-07-2011)