Repainting A Newly Painted Wall - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

repainting a newly painted wall

Me and my wife, just bought a newly constructed condominium. As usual the interior walls have been painted with the routine white color. I would like to repaint the whole interior.
My questions are :
1 - Do I need to sand the wall. If yes than with which sand paper should I use.
2 - Because the walls are painted with white color, do i need to use primer.
3 - As the condo is of smaller size, we have decided to go with the light and brighter colors like tangerine and lime yellowish. Do you guys think its a good idea to go light.

We have never done any DIY projects before, so it will be good if you guys can answer in the regular layman terms please.
Thank you all.

Advertisement

arrow80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

More then likly since it's new constrution they spray painted the walls so there may be some runs here and there so I't best to just go over the whole room with a sanding pole and sanding cloth, There both sold in the drywall supply area at any Box store.
DO not use the primer in one paint.
Do not buy your paint at the box store, go to a real paint store, explain what it is your doing and they will set you up with everything you need including painting tips and tools needed to do it.

DO not use blue painters tape all over everything. It just makes a mess and will slow you down. Tale your time and learn how to just use a 2-1/2" sash brush to do all the trim and cutting in.

Paint ceiling first, trim next then cut in all corners and around the trim with the wall paint before starting to roll.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

feel the wall , does it feel rough? if so a quick once over with a sanding pole and some drywall paper will knock down the bumps. if it is anything with a sheen definitely do a light sanding. it should have been primed and painted when it was built so you shouldn't need to prime. also don't get sucked into that paint and primer in one myth that the big box stores are trying to make you believe.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,272

........and, don't be afraid to use the SEARCH function on the DIY website. There are literally hundreds of posts addressing your very situation.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Sand--yes.just lightly with 120 grit to knock off and bits of crud stuck to the paint---

Latex paint will stick to the latex that is there--so no primer is needed---

Choose a paint from a good paint store---Benjamin Moore or Sherwyn Williams would be safe---

Use top price brushes and roller covers---they will make your job faster and better---

For patching--use powdered 'easy sand 20' drywall compound---

I can't help with color-----but do stay out of the big box stores for the paint---there are better ones at the paint stores.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Thank you all for the replies guys.
So if understand correctly, because the wall is slightly rough, I will need to sand.
I am thinking of renting Porter Cable 7800 sander as it will be faster. Right now we are renting the apartment and our lease will expire within a week of condo`s closing date. So I have only a week to paint, and that are mostly evenings.
Because I am new to sanding, will it be a big mistake if I sand more than its needed. Its my first DIY project so I am trying to understand.
Secondly, will it be ok if I sand all the walls first and than paint them couple of days later?
Once again Thank you all for the time and knowledge.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

No need to rent- you don't have to work that hard.
Most of us painters have a sander on a pole to do this, or a handled hand sander. But if you got a sanding sponge med grit and just quickly went over it ( your other hand will tell if you need to hit a spot) should be fine. Even that way should take no more than 15 min. a room.
But it might be worth while if your doing the whole house to get the pole.
Here- found this for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5ZhdLO2nM
oh'mike (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Thanks Brushjockey for the advice.
So I will get sandpaper with 120 grit, use the sandpaper pole.
After sanding, do I need to wash the wall with water and soap?
I will use the brush for cutting the edges but I am slightly worried that the brush paint shade and the roller color shade will differ. How can I get uniformity?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

no need to wash- or even wipe since you will not be making a bunch of dust.

As far as regularity of look- will depend on paint choice ( some show that banding more) and technique.

I could go find you some you tubes-...or you could..
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow80 View Post
Thanks Brushjockey for the advice.
So I will get sandpaper with 120 grit, use the sandpaper pole.
After sanding, do I need to wash the wall with water and soap?
I will use the brush for cutting the edges but I am slightly worried that the brush paint shade and the roller color shade will differ. How can I get uniformity?

You are way over thinking this. Do a quick sanding( I would use 100 but 120 is fine), paint it twice and walk away.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,652

Question since in my opinion a sanding pole is a kind of difficult tool to use, flips over then gouges the wall a lot, then you have repairs to do. Since this is a DIY site and not many probably have experience with a pole do you think it would be better to recommend something like the round head sander from SW it is so much easier to use and won't flop over. But it does cost more, so do you think it would be worth the extra money?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

I think they're great- have one myself.
But since this guy is at painting 101- didn't want to throw the higher end tools just for one house. He could use a hand sander and get the job done.
But the round sander is great if you're going to ride that pole for years.
regular poles are ok- they don't flip so much on paint and the vid I had showed good technique.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker (10-15-2012)