DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Repainting Laundry Room (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/repainting-laundry-room-4317/)

cloverxxo 10-13-2006 08:52 AM

Repainting Laundry Room
 
I am getting to repaint my laundry room. It's currently a light yellow and I'm not sure what color I'll be going to but if it's a darker color do I really need a primer?

What exactly is primer other than to cover up the old color?

What brand name paints/primer would you suggest?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!!

redline 10-13-2006 11:24 AM

primer helps the paint adhere to the surface.

slickshift 10-13-2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverxxo (Post 20691)
if it's a darker color do I really need a primer?

No
Sometimes a grey primer can help if you are doing a real red or deep blue because those are tough colors to paint
Mostly DIYers tend to over-primer...primer when it's not needed
Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverxxo (Post 20691)
What exactly is primer other than to cover up the old color?

Actually, it's very rarely used to cover up the old color
Only on drastic color changes

The actual purpose of a primer is to seal the substrate (wall or whatever is being painted) and help the paint adhere to the surface
Not to cover up the old color

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverxxo (Post 20691)
What brand name paints/primer would you suggest?

Most brands have different "lines"
The rule of thumb is (and I have found it to be very true):
You get what you pay for

You can't go wrong with most of the Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams premium paint lines, and Zinsser's primers
But it really depends on exactly what you are doing as to what the best product is (and who makes it)
There's no "Brand X makes the best primer and paint for everything" type of thing going on

Paintguy26 10-13-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverxxo (Post 20691)
I am getting to repaint my laundry room. It's currently a light yellow and I'm not sure what color I'll be going to but if it's a darker color do I really need a primer?

What exactly is primer other than to cover up the old color?

What brand name paints/primer would you suggest?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!!

This is one of the most confusing aspects DIY'ers or Customers ask about. When you have a wall with paint on it, as long as it's in good shape, you dont need to prime. You sand the wall, wipe it, and apply paint.

I suggest Sherwin Williams primer and paint. I use this paint all the time exclusively. Benjamin Moore, Zinsser, Pittsburgh are all good. Shy away from Behr, Olympic, Glidden, Ace. They will only create more work...

cloverxxo 10-14-2006 07:03 AM

Thank you!

That is just what I needed to know!

:clover:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved