Repainting Kitchen Cabinets White. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Repainting Kitchen Cabinets White.

I need some advice on which variety of paint to use for a white refinish over a dark stain. Some say a quality oil based paint. Others say a painted lacquer. I think either will work but which will hold up to abuse the best. I am leaning toward a painted lacquer since that's what I have used on new cabinets.

Advertisement

jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might use the search feature at the top of the screen as this topic comes up often.

I think you will find priming with a bonding primer/enamel underlay and painting with two coats of an acrylic semi-gloss (or even high-gloss since you are going with white or off-white) easier to work with than lacquer and the finish will be less prone to chipping. Lacquer is a hard surface finish. Nice if you have the patience but brittle. Melamine paint is another possibility if you want the ultra gloss look but same concerns. I don't think you gain anything with using an oil finish any more on cabinets. A nice solvent based alkyd primer? Sure. It is a great equalizer and problem solver and not a bad idea transitioning from the oil-based varnish you probably have on the surface to an acrylic finish. Oil paints are even hard to buy in some states now.

As you will read searching prior topic sections and posts, 99 percent of whatever you do with kitchen cabinets has to do with careful and thorough prep.

"Pure White white" is awfully stark and unforgiving and can look dingy itself against many wall colors or make the wall color look muddy. Think about something with just a tinge of tint in it. Atrium White was a fave of mine as it went well with antique woods and things. Your eye still "read" it as white when you entered a room that had it but it was slightly tinted. There are something like 100+ off whites just in the Ben Moore off-white collection. One will fit your needs.

And remember, latex/acrylic products surface harden in an hour or so but take 30 days or so to cure. Try not to splash too much on them difficult a challenge as this may be in a kitchen.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 04-18-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Changed melamine to melamine paint.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

I just went back to a cabinet job I did about 6 years ago where I used cover stain oil primer and s/w pro classic acrylic. and its still perfect .s/w has reformulated pro classic maybe a year or so and its even better. with that said its only paint ,you still have to be a little careful
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

I mocked up a drawer front with the lacquered paint and I love it. It takes time but I am planning on taping off the whole kitchen so I think I will just use the lacquered paint since I can spray it on and the dry time is faster between coats. I am going with an antiqued white since a stark white is hard to get right. Just have to make sure I clean everything very well.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Aspirator and ventilation please! Don't forget to turn the HVAC off.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Yes. We don't have an hvac so no worries but I will be wearing a respirator. Thnks

Advertisement