DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

repainting interior door

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
Is there something I need to do to prep a door to be repainted, other than lightly sanding to scuffle it? It seems like whenever I repainted using semigloss, it eventually peels off like rubber... PLEASE HELP?!?

#2 ·
Well, have you used quality paint store paint in the past? You have not only sanded but made sure the surface was washed with something like TSP right?

If you suspect any potential adhesion problems you should prime the door first with either a solvent based alkyd or a high bond waterbased primer.

Then two coats of quality paint store finish should stick just fine.

#6 ·
The paint was likely builders grade semi gloss.... Using Duron Emerald semi gloss to repaint...used a medium sanding block to scuff surface - is that coarse enough? I'm sorry, but not sure what TSP is...

Still should not be coming off, you must have done something wrong

Emerald is a SW product not Duron and will not stick any better if the surface is not prepped right

and finally

PREP the surface PROPERLY:whistling2:

#5 ·
One other thing make sure all the loose and peeling paint is gone. keep peeling till you can't peel no more. TSP is tri sodium phosphate probably spelled wrong it is a cleaner used by painters. It is a non sudsing cleaner and it deglosses a little. Someone else on here probably has a better definition. You can get it at the big box stores or almost any hardware or Wally World.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.