Repainting The House This Year - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Repainting the house this year

I am planning on repainting our house this year. It was built in the 1960's, has red cedar shakes for siding. It has several coats of paint that I can tell, the original has lead in it. The most curent coat of paint was done by the previous owner about 5 years ago according to our neighbors. My question is regarding alligator type cracking on some of the shakes. These cracks in the paint are not peeling, but are definately cracking.

Will these cracks cause grief shortly down the road after painting the house? I plan on using A 100 Sherwin Williams oil based primer first, then latex Superpaint over that with 2 coats. My fear is that after painting the house these cracks will come back to haunt me and force me to repaint the house in a few years from now. Any ideas or comments would be most appreciated. Would 2 coats of primer help in this case? Becuase of the lead in the paint, removing the paint is out of the question as far as I am concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Repainting the house this year-100_1963.jpg   Repainting the house this year-100_1967.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by creamaster; 07-13-2008 at 08:55 PM.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repainting the house this year

You've got issues due to multiple coats of paint of different types
I would not prime...and not oil prime especially
Assuming this last coat was latex, you've got enough oil/latex layers...and they are probably the cause of your cracks

The "best" cure would be a full strip and proper primer and re-paint
As there is lead involved, it is not a DIY project, and professional certified technicians must be hired

Again assuming a latex top coat, I would alternately suggest a high build exterior paint such as SW Duration or BM Aura
The high build paints such as these will fill in the cracks, and allow for a few more years of using the existing siding

Again, unless needed for bare wood spots, do not use a primer
If needed, do not use an oil

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote