Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Repainting fireplace mantel (HVLP vs Airless)

Sorry if this comes off like a rant, just spent thousands having a custom build fireplace and mantel put in. the wood mantel is made of HD MDF, and it's painted with white lacquer. So they get everything finished about 6pm, looks great. next morning we are looking at it (sun brighted up the room). and we notice areas that they did not get enought paint on the mantel (in the recessed panels on the legs) and they apparently did not sand the wood adequately as you can see and feel areas in the recessed panel that were not sanded well at all. I called them on Sat to let them know.

So my question is not that this is installed, can this be repainted if needed with a HVLP unit if we make a paint booth around the fireplace? I know, major PITA, but I am not sure how they are going to touch this up with a brush and look good.

Thanks for any tips.

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey Titan,

Yes it can be refinished using a HVLP and a tent, however it always looks better using an airless. The HVLP will produce a slight orange peel. Just out of curiosity what material are you spraying...Oil or Latex? If it’s latex you might consider adding a little Flotrol.

In the past I’ve done exactly what you’re suggesting. Did the material get soaked in on the end cuts of the MDF or was it just missed when sanded? If it soaked in then a touch up using a brush, some patience and some enamel undercoater is in order. Keep your touch up very local.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

lacquer
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Here are the pictures, not sure what happened, but I don't think a touch up brush is going to fix it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Titan,
You’re right, a brush isn’t going to solve this. After looking at it closer it appears that fallout from the lacquer dust is landing on the areas not sprayed and then you’re spraying over the dust just causing the lumps in the finish. If this is the case you’re creating a sponge effect not as a sponge rather only in appearance. You may want to consider switching over to oil base. It will give you a little more open time. It’s hard to determine/describe a solution as to how to correct your situation. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Thanks, so I guess I am not being too picky, They screwed up a couple of the marble cuts also. What a mess. Looks great from 8 feet away.