Repainted Wall Around Bullnose Corner... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repainted wall around bullnose corner...

I recently repainted a single wall (accent wall) in our home and happy with the result. This wall has a hallway that leads into the master bedroom with a bullnose edge corner (rounded). I taped off the edge so I would get a clean break between the old paint and the new.
Anyways, after removing the tape, the edge looks great - no paint leakage (used Frog Tape). My only observation is that the new layer(s) of paint are higher than the old. What I mean is, that I can visibly see a difference in height where the new and old paint meet. I'm guessing it's because I used several coats, re-primed and painted 2 more coats because I wasn't happy with the first color choice. I can feel the edge with my fingernail.
Should I be concerned with this, or not even worry about it? I thought maybe I should try to sand it down to blend that edge in more, but I don't have a clue on how to go about that, and I would most likely just make it worse.
Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Advertisement

dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Contractor

If the line is straight and there was no bleading reach around and pat yourself on the back! You could sand it down and redo both colors but even when you don't dislike the first color you get a little edge when using tape like that.

BTW 95% of the time you don't need to prime to change colors or repaint your walls as long as both of the paints you're using are latex.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sasquatchpaint; 12-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Sasquatchpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquatchpaint For This Useful Post:
dbell (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
40+yrs Paint Trades

Rewards Points: 75

Don't touch it. Leave well enough alone.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hoz49 For This Useful Post:
dbell (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
Don't touch it. Leave well enough alone.
Yea, what he said! (just in case my origional post danced around the question too much!)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchpaint View Post
Yea, what he said! (just in case my origional post danced around the question too much!)
Thanks Sasquatchpaint - I appreciate your comments. I think I will leave it alone. It looks good overall, was just curious about that edge, though I think whenever you use tape like that, you are bound to get a small edge. Mine is a bit more noticeable because of the amount of coats I used.

BTW, I wanted to use primer because I was going from a darker color to a lighter color. Also, I had glazed the wall previously and had to wipe it all off. I needed a good primer to make sure things stuck If you look back several posts you'll see a thread about glazing a wall. I ended up redoing that wall - didn't like how it looked.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Contractor

Your faux finish wall in the other thread looks awesome!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchpaint View Post
Your faux finish wall in the other thread looks awesome!
Thanks, though that's the wall I just repainted. It looked pretty cool, but the glaze wouldn't dry. Had to basically start over on it.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey dbell,

At the bottom of the wall try taking a piece of sandpaper with the sand facing up. Put your hand on the sand with the paper on the paint. Just rub the paper over the line in the paint. This should take the edge off the line without polishing the edge. If it looks OK, then do the rest of the line. Don't get over zealous with the rubbing, just a little should do it.

Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com

Advertisement

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote