Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Removing Wallpaper Then Painting Question

In my kitchen there is wallpaper, but this is not your typical thin hard to get off wallpaper. It is a thicker wallpaper that has textured vertical ridges and it seems peels off quite easily. It should come off in strips withouth much more than a scraper.

What I am curious about is steps after this.... I will need to go to HD or Menards and purchase some supplies for sure, what all will I need?

1) Best thing to put down to catch glue, debris, ect?
2) Best method to get off excess glue / possible wallpaper stuck to wall? -- sanding??
3) After wallpaper is off, and the wall is smooth, after sanding? Are there any steps prior to painting?
4) Do I need to prime? - If so, reommendations for type and brand?
5) Looking to do a light blue paint, recommendations for type and brand?
6) To me this seems like a straight forward job, any additional thoughts, suggestions or things I may be over looking?

Thanks!!

splintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

All good questions-
As you pull off the vinyl, lay it down and use it for a drop cloth.
Have a bucket to toss gummy paste in, a good sponge and water bucket- a rough scrubbie pad.
Wet the wall with the sponge and let the water soak into the paste. It is probably clay based paste ( brown stuff) and will take a bit-
Then when soft but not runny use a 6" and 4" scraper and scrape the muck off the wall the best you can, toss in the muck bucket.
Then sponge again and use the scrubbie too to get whatever you can get off- change water often. Getting the paste off is very important.

When you have done all you can, let dry , give it a quick sand to knock any nubs off, and then prime with something that will seal the paste residue in-- only 2 products I absolutely trust for this-
Zinsser Gardz ( clear thin waterbase) or a coat of oil like Cover Stain. I prefer Gardz. Both have a bit of stink- oil much more.
Then do whatever repairs are needed, sand and reprime those- should be ready to go with a quality eggshell ( best for Kitchens) .

I think Ben Moore Regal Select is fantastic, but there are other good choices.

Good luck!

ToolSeeker (04-09-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,170

What he ^ said
here is another link to read

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Painting Contractor CT

Rewards Points: 77

I agree 100% with what Brushjockey said about the wallpaper removal process, wall prep and paint. I personally love using Benjamin Moore Ultra Spec 500 paint (Zero VOC) for interior paint projects. Good Luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,474

Brush you like the egg over semi in the kitchen? I always used semi just for the washability when you consider cooking oils, grease splatters, things that are sprayed, spills and all. Same for baths when you think of things sprayed and spilled in there. It just seems that these walls get wiped a lot more than most.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

The new eggs ( like Regal Select and Aura) hold up to washing as good as anything short of epoxy. I am not a big fan of shiney walls.

That said, I have done a few with Muralo semi or even oil Impervo.
ToolSeeker (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
The new eggs ( like Regal Select and Aura) hold up to washing as good as anything short of epoxy. I am not a big fan of shiney walls.

That said, I have done a few with Muralo semi or even oil Impervo.

I agree. I have painted some semi, but ONLY when the customer demands it.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

check this video hope this will help you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZK5xz8FWM
RoofContractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

When I remove wallpaper I tape plastic to the baseboard and pull it out 3 feet from the wall. Then all wet paper, glue etc will fall on the plastic. When done just wrap up the plastic with everything inside and throw it away.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMDPainting For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofContractor View Post
check this video hope this will help you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZK5xz8FWM

You can watch it but forget the part about oil based primers. Also, start the spraying and go from the bottom up, not from the top down.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDPainting View Post
When I remove wallpaper I tape plastic to the baseboard and pull it out 3 feet from the wall. Then all wet paper, glue etc will fall on the plastic. When done just wrap up the plastic with everything inside and throw it away.
That tape with plastic runner material attached works well when used this way. Pricey though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #12

So. I got all the wall paper off. I can see the obvious glue.. A yellowish brown thicker stuff. We wet this down and it comes off no problem. Underneath is a white layer which of wet down also comes off with some serious elbow grease. How can I tell if the white stuff underneath needs to come off? Can not tell if it is an older cheaper paint. When wet and scrapped off it seems a little pasty. Not sure of this description... Hopefully this makes sense
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Sometimes its hard to tell if its paste or a primer. Not sure what to tell you, this is where a bit of experience comes in- when to stop.

If you think you are loosening up the primer, let it dry, sand to get bits of stuff off, prime with gardz and then you might need to skim where needed.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

Epic! We figured it out. White stuff is paint or primer, we scrapped some areas in the kitchen down to the old paint even below the white before we determined that was not right. We realized our error and things began to speed up. It is amazing how different techniques work in different spots depending on the glue coverage. Some spots a sponge took it off after a persoak, and in others the brush or scraper was ideal. We got the kitchen and living room glue done (other than where we need a ladder). We will finish the high areas to tomorrow as well as the bathroom. Then sanding is next on the list.

The only major challenge now is how we are going to get behind the radiators. Most of them have some clearance, but the one in the kitchen, there is almost none. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintner View Post
Epic! We figured it out. White stuff is paint or primer, we scrapped some areas in the kitchen down to the old paint even below the white before we determined that was not right. We realized our error and things began to speed up. It is amazing how different techniques work in different spots depending on the glue coverage. Some spots a sponge took it off after a persoak, and in others the brush or scraper was ideal. We got the kitchen and living room glue done (other than where we need a ladder). We will finish the high areas to tomorrow as well as the bathroom. Then sanding is next on the list.

The only major challenge now is how we are going to get behind the radiators. Most of them have some clearance, but the one in the kitchen, there is almost none. Any suggestions?

pull the radiators? that's the only way I know

PASTE