DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Removing Wallpaper Paste (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/removing-wallpaper-paste-49878/)

Bliss7777 07-29-2009 02:02 PM

Removing Wallpaper Paste
 
I'm preparing to repaint drywall and have steamed off the wallpaper border. What's the best product to remove the wallpaper glue residue? I've tried fabric softener with hot water as well as vinegar and hot water. Neither worked. I heard about Piranha Wallpaper and Paste Remover, but am having a problem finding it at area Sherwin Williams stores. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this product? And where can I find it in the DC area?

chrisn 07-29-2009 06:34 PM

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?productid=17

mazzonetv 07-31-2009 04:12 PM

absolutely - dif with some hot water and a medium steel wool or scotch brite pad works wonders. When you think you got it all, do it again and be sure to rinse it VERY well. If there is ANY residue the water based paint or primer will reactivate the glue and make a mess.

chrisn 07-31-2009 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also after you think you have all the paste removed, prime with this or an oil based primer before painting.

Bliss7777 08-01-2009 07:17 PM

Removing Wallpaper Paste
 
Thanks to both of you! I'll give it a try.

hammertime09 08-06-2009 12:01 PM

if its old wallpaper (over 20 years) the odds of it coming off are slim. the glue used in old wallpaper was never designed to come off, so there's really no way to reactivate it. if dif doesnt work, your next step would be to plaster the whole wall, or rip the sheet rock off and put up new sheetrock

chrisn 08-06-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammertime09 (Post 311240)
if its old wallpaper (over 20 years) the odds of it coming off are slim. the glue used in old wallpaper was never designed to come off, so there's really no way to reactivate it. if dif doesnt work, your next step would be to plaster the whole wall, or rip the sheet rock off and put up new sheetrock


Not true at all. I have removed thousands of rolls of old paper and PASTE. It is true that 40 or 50 years ago they used animal GLUES that are absolutly harder to remove but they will come off.

http://www.safeandsimple.com/

saggdevil 08-06-2009 12:35 PM

Yes you can remove it as Chris said. I followed his advise and removed 96 years worth of painted wallpaper. You can do it.

chrisn 08-06-2009 12:43 PM

ironserpant says"but yes wallpapers are not a good idea anymore.":eek::huh:

and why not??

saggdevil 08-06-2009 01:30 PM

I think most people (I was one too) think of the dreaded removal process and usually if it's being removed it's outdated and everyone is sick of it. Wallpaper is really beautiful and adds so many more choices for a room.

Actually from what I've experienced and read, the older glue is easier to remove; especially the really old glue as it is usually wheat based so vinegar and water remove it easily.

chrisn 08-06-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saggdevil (Post 311272)
I think most people (I was one too) think of the dreaded removal process and usually if it's being removed it's outdated and everyone is sick of it. Wallpaper is really beautiful and adds so many more choices for a room.

Actually from what I've experienced and read, the older glue is easier to remove; especially the really old glue as it is usually wheat based so vinegar and water remove it easily.

:thumbsup::thumbup:

hammertime09 08-06-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saggdevil (Post 311272)
I think most people (I was one too) think of the dreaded removal process and usually if it's being removed it's outdated and everyone is sick of it. Wallpaper is really beautiful and adds so many more choices for a room.

Actually from what I've experienced and read, the older glue is easier to remove; especially the really old glue as it is usually wheat based so vinegar and water remove it easily.

yeah im sure you have alot of "experience". i'm not even going to waste my time on this thread anymore. i'll leave this to the "professional wallpaperer" :laughing:

saggdevil 08-06-2009 10:07 PM

You were talking to one, his name is Chris. :laughing:

chrisn 08-07-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammertime09 (Post 311415)
yeah im sure you have alot of "experience". i'm not even going to waste my time on this thread anymore. i'll leave this to the "professional wallpaperer" :laughing:

Probably best.:whistling2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved