Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

Share |

Removing Wallpaper

So another dreaded wallpaper question

My home is completely covered in wallpaper but this wallpaper is not the wallpaper you find in the bathroom it is that thick wallpaper...

Well my question would have to be is it ok to paint over it??
I presume NO

I have read posts from members who say that this is a nightmare waiting to happen...

I just want to know before i head to home depot what should i get in order to get this wallpaper off the wall.. thanks in advance

fcamargo6thave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Removing Wallpaper

NO

what should i get in order to get this wallpaper off the wall..

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Removing Wallpaper

Thank you chris I will begin this on friday since its my house I will be more intereseted in detail and will work cautiously so i can get a good finished product. looks like it is a pain in the but i will be happy when the room looks nice
Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Removing Wallpaper

Patience is a virtue when stripping wallpaper.........
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #5

Removing Wallpaper

If you paint over wallpaper, you will spend more time wishing you had stripped it than you would if you just went ahead and stripped or even replaced the drywall for that matter.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

Removing Wallpaper

We stripped wallpaper off walls in two bathrooms. In both, the walls were not properly sealed and sized before the wallpaper was put up so when we started to take the wallpaper down, the backer paper was so stuck to the drywall paper that the drywall paper would peal and tear as well. Be careful not to remove too much of the drywall paper but if the top coat wants to peal off, you are not totally screwed. We did a light wiping of the walls to remove any large accumulations of wallpaper paste off the walls, let the drywall paper dry, then we sealed the drywall will Zinser Guardz. It runs about $20 a gallon. It is clear (slightly milky) and dries hard. It seals any excess wallpaper paste and torn/damaged drywall paper to a solid mass that then can be easily sanded smooth. We did have to refloat some areas and then sprayed an orange peel texture then primed and painted and it looks wonderful.
dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #7

Removing Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcamargo6thave View Post
So another dreaded wallpaper question

My home is completely covered in wallpaper but this wallpaper is not the wallpaper you find in the bathroom it is that thick wallpaper...

I presume NO

I have read posts from members who say that this is a nightmare waiting to happen...

I just want to know before i head to home depot what should i get in order to get this wallpaper off the wall.. thanks in advance
No NO NO , that would one of the bad decisions we all make .You will spend more time fixing this mistake than just simply stripping the wallpaper now.The thing is whenever you start taking it off most of the time you take half of the dry wall with you .afterwards you know how the process goes . this will remove your wallpaper and keep your plaster where it belongs http://www.wallwik.co.uk/
good luck
mani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Removing Wallpaper

In about 10 minutes I'm going to stand up and paint my kitchen a white primer, after having stripped it of wall paper. Here was progression of work:

1. Peel off outer layer of paper (vinyl layer).
2. Saturate backing paper and adhesive with 90/10 hot water/Downy mix sprayed on. I got 95% of the adhesive off. The stuff that wouldn't budge I sanded flat with an orbital sander and 100 grit pads.
3. Wash/rinse off walls 3 times with hot water towels.
4. Prime everything with Gardz.
5. Fill in damaged areas and holes with drywall compound.
6. Orbitally sand with 150 grit, then final coat of drywall in some spots, then wet sand all with a sponge.
7. Wipe down dust with damp towel.
8. Final coat of Gardz.
9. White primer.
10. Final coats.

This project wore on my soul. Some spots had 2 layers of paper. Some were outer layer of wallpaper, then drywall compound, then more wall paper, then sheet rock.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #9

Removing Wallpaper

Excellent! I am not an expert (except for having done the same thing in two bathrooms. I know you feel your soul is worn down but it will regenerate over time and you will not have to worry about wallpaper in your kitchen ever again. The worst part for me is now when I see people planning on putting wallpaper up in a room that has been painted, I feel the need to go into the full discussion on properly priming and sizing the walls first... but only after telling them not to do it
dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #10

Removing Wallpaper

Everyone was right removing wallpaper is a pain inthe butt...

Wouldnt mind doing it again it was the best thing i have done to my house
Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Removing Wallpaper

1. Peel off outer layer of paper (vinyl layer).
2. Saturate backing paper and adhesive with 90/10 hot water/Downy mix sprayed on. I got 95% of the adhesive off. The stuff that wouldn't budge I sanded flat with an orbital sander and 100 grit pads.
3. Wash/rinse off walls 3 times with hot water towels.
4. Prime everything with Gardz.
5. Fill in damaged areas and holes with drywall compound.
6. Orbitally sand with 150 grit, then final coat of drywall in some spots, then wet sand all with a sponge.
7. Wipe down dust with damp towel.
8. Final coat of Gardz.
9. White primer.
10. Final coats.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #12

Removing Wallpaper

I have 2 bathrooms with 1970's wallpaper I pulled one off using DIP it worked good with roller that puches holes. The only problem is I'm guessing the builder of the home in 78 thought if they are getting wallpaper when they bought the house no need to texture over the dry wall. It was stuck directly to the flat dry wall. They used lots of glue and it fused directly to the drywall paper. After lots of picking and painful finger nails I got it all off. There were some scraps left over I sanded a bit then I used a texture gun and did a nice knockdown pattern. Was my first time doing that much texture but wasn't that tough. I primed and painted after that came out nice. I probably hire a contractor to do the 2nd bathroom and laundry room. I hate wall paper I can't see why people still use it.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Removing Wallpaper

I hate wall paper I can't see why people still use it.

Hey, you trying to ruin my chosen career?
I attempt to make a living hanging wallpaper and am hoping that it is going to make a HUGE come back . It is only a problem removing because it was not PROPERLY installed
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #14

Removing Wallpaper

I would never suggest you paint over wallpaper. Just makes a bigger mess for later and never really looks good. Score the walls with a razor in large X's all over then you can either use vinegar and warm water or a wallpaper stripper purchased at your local home improvement store and mix in a garden sprayer. Mist the walls, then wait for about 15 minutes. Use a putty knife to slide under the paper and start stripping. You may have to spray the wall 3-4 times to complete the process. You will be happy you did the work - Your paint job will look so much better.
onemeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Drywall contractor

Removing Wallpaper

I'd be VERY careful scoring with a razor blade. Cut too deep and you cut the face paper on the drywall, which can have BAD consequences. Better option is the "paper tiger" tool for scoring....