Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

removing wall paper unprimed sheetrock

Any sugestions on removing cloth backed wall paper from possible un-primed sheetrock? and prep for painting just short of re-sheet rocking walls. The initial removal comes off easy in full sheets. But I believe the glue is left behind. Thank You Bruce

BruceRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Warm water and a shot of liquid fabric softner with a terrey cloth rag.
It's all got to be 100% off the wall of the primer and paint will fail.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

I use DIF to get off what I can. Sometimes its just about hours and hours of cleaning. A steamer helps a lot, you can rent one for like 40 bucks. If its a bathroom I run the hot water for like 20 minutes, steam the whole bathroom and then just go to town with a 6 inch putty knife.

If the drywall is unprimed under the paper, sometimes its damn near impossible to remove the paper backing without utterly destroying the drywall. In that case I just remove what I can, scuff sand it all, then prime with oil base killz. Follow by drywall mud where necessary, then pva and paint. A coat of texture before primer cuts the mud time in 3rds and hides most imperfections but I prefer smoothwall, just takes more time.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Removing paper paste
Tools- sponge- sprayer ( paint stores have small ones just for this that work good) ,6",4" and 1.1/4" putty knives- rough scrubbie- couple of buckets- one for warm ( forget the hot and steamy- not needed)water, one to scrape paste into.
get it wet- I think initially hitting with sponge and then rewetting with sprayer works best- instead of dif , softener or steam, use timing and patience.
Keep wetting an area until it is soft enough to scrape- but stiff enough to not just run all over the place. wet ahead of yourself so that by the time you get one section done- the next is ready.
Scrape all you can- rewet area and use scrubbie to work off any remainder- sponge reside. let dry
When dry give a light sand to knock off any bits and - Important!_ prime to seal any residue with Gardz or an oil sealer. I think Gardz works great for this.
Ready to paint! (after any needed repairs)

Last edited by Brushjockey; 02-07-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

What removes easily is the vinyl facing coming off the cloth still glued to the wall. You have to remove the vinyl facing before you can attack the cloth and adhesive. Besides all the previous advice, get a bucket of elbow grease - you'll need it.
When cleaned, I recommend Zinsser Gardz primer.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Removing paper paste
Tools- sponge- sprayer ( paint stores have small ones just for this that work good) ,6",4" and 1.1/4" putty knives- rough scrubbie- couple of buckets- one for warm ( forget the hot and steamy- not needed)water, one to scrape paste into.
get it wet- I think initially hitting with sponge and then rewetting with sprayer works best- instead of dif , softener or steam, use timing and patience.
Keep wetting an area until it is soft enough to scrape- but stiff enough to not just run all over the place. wet ahead of yourself so that by the time you get one section done- the next is ready.
Scrape all you can- rewet area and use scrubbie to work off any remainder- sponge reside. let dry
When dry give a light sand to knock off any bits and - Important!_ prime to seal any residue with Gardz or an oil sealer. I think Gardz works great for this.
Ready to paint! (after any needed repairs)
Thanks for that
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

[quote=Mr. Paint;846839]What removes easily is the vinyl facing coming off the cloth still glued to the wall. You have to remove the vinyl facing before you can attack the cloth and adhesive. Besides all the previous advice, get a bucket of elbow grease - you'll need it.
When cleaned, I recommend Zinsser Gardz primer.[/quot

Yes to both
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

I saw that Gardz in the store last time I did a project like this but tying new things is always scary and since I've used oil based kilz successfully in the past, I went with that. Now seeing good reviews on gardz, I think I will use that next time around.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspikuous View Post
I saw that Gardz in the store last time I did a project like this but tying new things is always scary and since I've used oil based kilz successfully in the past, I went with that. Now seeing good reviews on gardz, I think I will use that next time around.
do that and forget the PVA primer and you will be better off