Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Telescopist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Share |
Default

removing wall paper


I purchased a buy/fix/flip. Years ago the occupants applied wall paper over dry wall. I've removed acres of wall paper from plaster but not dry wall. If there is a 'best' procedure for stripping off the wallpaper, what would it be? Or, would it make more sense to simply prime and paint instead? Thanks.

Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,820
Default

removing wall paper


Lots of patience, lots of water. Of course the ease with which it comes off depends on what kind of paper is on the wall and what type of adhesive was used to install it. For most papers, scoring the paper with a scoring tool is important to allow the water to penetrate and reactivate the paste/adhesive. I often use a garden pump sprayer with very warm water to saturate the scored paper. Keep applying OFTEN to keep the paper wet. Let it marinate for 15 mins to a 1/2 hour always keeping it wet. Most papers will just peel right off the wall IF you are patient.

Some papers can be peeled off dry…….leaving the paper backing on the wall. This needs to be wetted also and comes off more easily than a paper which can't be peeled off from its' paper backing.

ChrisN, our resident paper hanger on here can give more details, but, in a nutshell, that's the process most often used…….Keeping it wet is critical. You start to scrape or peel before it has marinated and you end up pulling off the paper of the drywall or gouging the drywall leaving a DISASTER!

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Telescopist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Default

removing wall paper


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Lots of patience, lots of water. Of course the ease with which it comes off depends on what kind of paper is on the wall and what type of adhesive was used to install it. For most papers, scoring the paper with a scoring tool is important to allow the water to penetrate and reactivate the paste/adhesive. I often use a garden pump sprayer with very warm water to saturate the scored paper. Keep applying OFTEN to keep the paper wet. Let it marinate for 15 mins to a 1/2 hour always keeping it wet. Most papers will just peel right off the wall IF you are patient.

Some papers can be peeled off dry…….leaving the paper backing on the wall. This needs to be wetted also and comes off more easily than a paper which can't be peeled off from its' paper backing.

ChrisN, our resident paper hanger on here can give more details, but, in a nutshell, that's the process most often used…….Keeping it wet is critical. You start to scrape or peel before it has marinated and you end up pulling off the paper of the drywall or gouging the drywall leaving a DISASTER!
Scoring the wall paper implies that you will also end up scoring the drywall? Prepping the wallpaper for removal by wetting it won't have a effect on the drywall skin? Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,438
Default

removing wall paper


Add a little fabric softener to your water it will soak in a little better and keep wet better. And yes you may loose some of the drywall paper. Depending on how it comes off you may need to skim coat. If you use the scoring tool yes you will need to skim. On the places where the paper comes off the drywall you need to prime with a product called Guardz this is where it excels. You must be sure to remove all the adhesive. There's always the chance you may get lucky and it comes right off, happens sometimes. Oh it helps to use warm water.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,820
Default

removing wall paper


I've never had to much trouble with the scoring tool penetrating into the drywall. Does it happen? Sure. You may get a few dents and lines here and there that can easily be filled with spackle. If you are worried about the scoring tool doing damage, you could just as easily scuff sand the surface of the paper with an orbital or sheet sander to remove some of the facing and then wet it. I've also skipped the scoring of the paper and just wetted it and covered with thin plastic to keep it wet and it CAN come right off like that ON OCCASION. It's just one of those processes that has you trying and experimenting with anything that works.

Like Toolseeker said, sometimes you luck out and it just peels right off without much effort. Don't count on that!!!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
747
registered
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois (kankakee county)
Posts: 1,330
Default

removing wall paper


Sometimes i think it would be easier just to install new drywall. The amount of time to get the wallpaper off. Now all the prep after wards. Hell one hour your down to studs. New drywall going up. I"m just saying. Take your time. Its going to be a real pain in the ass. Don't forget to prime after with gardz.

Last edited by 747; 11-25-2013 at 06:44 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,730
Default

removing wall paper


here you go
http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html


If you use the paper tiger method, do so GENTLY, you are only trying to break the surface of the paper, NOT dig into the drywall,

you could also(instead of the tiger) use the heaviest grit sand paper you can find and then follow instructions

http://www.safeandsimple.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,438
Default

removing wall paper


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I've never had to much trouble with the scoring tool penetrating into the drywall. Does it happen? Sure. You may get a few dents and lines here and there that can easily be filled with spackle. If you are worried about the scoring tool doing damage, you could just as easily scuff sand the surface of the paper with an orbital or sheet sander to remove some of the facing and then wet it. I've also skipped the scoring of the paper and just wetted it and covered with thin plastic to keep it wet and it CAN come right off like that ON OCCASION. It's just one of those processes that has you trying and experimenting with anything that works.

Like Toolseeker said, sometimes you luck out and it just peels right off without much effort. Don't count on that!!!
Your right schu about the Tiger it's just most DIY tend to use it too hard. It's really a useful tool but I usually kind of save it for last.
Chris if it got to where you needed the Tiger would you change from water to a remover. Like Diff I know not too many pros like it but something like that.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Telescopist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Default

removing wall paper


Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Sometimes i think it would be easier just to install new drywall. The amount of time to get the wallpaper off. Now all the prep after wards. Hell one hour your down to studs. New drywall going up. I"m just saying. Take your time. Its going to be a real pain in the ass. Don't forget to prime after with guardz.
"It's going to be a real pain in the ass" covers the situation Thank all for the flurry of responses. I've never used Gardz. Thanks for the tip. I've got a black belt in demolition. That said, I can't fathom it would be a time saving measure to tear out the old drywall and start over. Think about all of the casing around doors, windows, and floors that might have to be removed. I say might because every situation is different. I think I'll just try to remove this crap as best I can. Adding fabric softener to the solution was a good idea. (ToolSeeker)
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
747
registered
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois (kankakee county)
Posts: 1,330
Default

removing wall paper


I spelled it wrong. Zinsser GARDZ
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Member
 
Telescopist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Default

removing wall paper


Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I spelled it wrong. Zinsser GARDZ
If that's the worst you've done then you're okay.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,820
Default

removing wall paper


Toolseeker, I like DIF for removing stubborn paper, especially borders. It would cost a small fortune to do a whole room with DIF. I like the gel version because it can be sprayed on an it stays wet longer than plain water. Also, for stubborn removals, you can spray on the DIF and cover it with Saran Wrap or thin plastic sheets to really let it marinate.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,730
Default

removing wall paper


You guys should REALLY get some S@S, it makes Diff obsolete



http://www.safeandsimple.com/


+ Diff is toxic
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-26-2013), ToolSeeker (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
Member
 
Telescopist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Default

removing wall paper


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Toolseeker, I like DIF for removing stubborn paper, especially borders. It would cost a small fortune to do a whole room with DIF. I like the gel version because it can be sprayed on an it stays wet longer than plain water. Also, for stubborn removals, you can spray on the DIF and cover it with Saran Wrap or thin plastic sheets to really let it marinate.
I am not a painting or wallpaper hanger contractor. I'm a knucklehead who out of economic necessity has learned how to do most of my own electrical, plumbing, and new framing on old houses. Just out of curiosity how would a contractor estimate the costs involved in the removal of wallpaper, prep for painting, then painting. I'm assuming square footage? How much per square foot? Just a guesstimate would suit.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,820
Default

removing wall paper


There's no way to estimate wallpaper removal. I tell my customers that upfront. You sometimes have one layer or as many as 7 or 8 layers. You don't know if the drywall was primed before the paper was hung. Removing paper in a room can take 3 hours or 3 days. Sometimes you find that a genius decided to PAINT a layer of the wallpaper. Quote an hourly rate and give a buffer on materials since you won't know how much you will have in materials til you're done.

Doing any estimating based on Sq. footage, whether it be painting or wallpaper removal will COST you money in the end. Most of us have our own personal formulas based on how many guys we have on a job, our insurance, overhead, fuel and vehicle costs, workman's comp costs, etc. that would be very little help for someone doing it on the side. Like I said, in your case, decide on an hourly rate that is agreeable to you and the homeowner. Any other way of doing it is going to disappoint you or the HO.


Last edited by Gymschu; 11-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Telescopist (11-26-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Old Stucco Without Damaging Paper greenfrog5 Drywall & Plaster 3 12-31-2012 09:33 AM
removing wall paper unprimed sheetrock BruceRY Painting 9 02-08-2012 04:07 AM
removing wall that soffit was attached to Lizybizy Building & Construction 3 05-27-2010 03:48 PM
Replacing drywall without removing tile through an interior wall MLP Drywall & Plaster 6 08-06-2009 11:35 AM
Marrying a sloping stone wall to a cinder block wall. mrdol Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 11-09-2007 04:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.