DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing wall latex paint from sheet rock ceiling

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  1910NE 
#1 ·
I just purchased an older home built in 1928. My ceiling is peeling in large chunks. I believe the past owner painted regular latex wall paint on the ceiling. I'm pretty sure what is behind that is sheetrock. What is the best way to remove it? Should I leave it and paint over it? I want a smooth white ceiling and I think with painting over it, it will be uneven.
Thank you

#2 ·
If the house was built in 28, you do not have sheetrock, you have plaster.
There is more history to what is going on than what the last guy did.
It would help to have a couple of pics to help figure this out .

#3 ·
Not sure I would jump to the conclusion you do not have drywall although if it is '28 construction there is probably plaster hiding somewhere perhaps a layer back. Sounds like someone may have drywalled over rather than repair a failing plaster ceiling? Fairly common and accepted practice. They then painted it without sealer/primer or just used cheap, low quality paint.

Pictures will help. You might drill into it in a place that does not show to confirm it is either plaster or drywall.

Not sure it matters that much because you will have to scrape all the peeling paint off, skim coat to even it out if you want it flat or texture it somehow to cover the blotches. Then prime and apply two nice coats of finish. Paint store, not box store paint please!

I like to use plaster for plaster repairs and plaster skim coats so I guess what is up there might determine your material choice for that part of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.