Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |

removing spray paint and spray polyurethane from stuff

there's no details on the products how to remove them (only fresh clean up info which recommends mineral spirits).

I sprayed some fan accents with a silver spray paint (an 'enamel/epoxy' product), and then sprayed with a gloss polyurethane. I was told at home depot (I know, I know but I figured their tips would be better than nothing, which turned out to be worthless).

So I got the mineral spirits, put it on a rag undiluted, and tried to remove this paint and it wasn't going anywhere. I then tried with a very weak acetone (a watered-down fingernail polish bottle I've had for a while), and nothing with that either. Am I missing something here? I don't see why it's being sooo stubborn!!

Last edited by joeyboy; 10-26-2007 at 04:22 PM.
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #2

oh just to help these are the specific two cans I was using, they were being applied to a lightly sanded metal piece (fan blade arms, trying to get rid of the last gold accents in the house!!)
Attached Thumbnails
removing spray paint and spray polyurethane from stuff-dscn2327.jpg  

Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #3

Not much besides paint stripper is going to touch the poly. I can't tell from the picture if the other paint is a latex or not. If it's latex, Goof-Off will probably take it off and might do so without damaging the underlying finish.

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Tim
timp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #4

If you are trying to fix the problem from your earlier thread, I would think a sanding to remove your "texture" and any loose paint would be sufficient, and then you could re-coat.

You may want to prime before starting over.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #5

they actually recommend *not* to prime.

would paint stripper not only remove the poly, but also the underliying silver paint??

I really need to realize, despite logistical complications, I need to just come here first for all you pros before proceeding. the fact that responses don't come too quick here, and that I try to tackle life at turbospeed, sh!t like this happens.

<<but, isn't paint stripper an acetone based product? I was using acetone (... my fiances nail polish remover lol!) and I didn't get any different results there! I'm close to just doing the ghetto approach - make a big tub of satlwater, pouring in acetone, mineral spirits, and then just shaking it for days lol (presuming I've check whehter those chems won't mix safetly)
Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
Not much besides paint stripper is going to touch the poly. I can't tell from the picture if the other paint is a latex or not. If it's latex, Goof-Off will probably take it off and might do so without damaging the underlying finish.

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Tim
underlying finish is irrelevant since it's the tacky old faux gold stuff. that was the general way though my house, but I've only got a few more things to finish before the gold is all gone)