DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing Silicone Caulk...

372K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  Hobsonstcroix 
#1 ·
I've got a bathtub that I suspect was caulked with a silicone caulk by the builder. What is the best product to use to completely remove the silicone residue? We've used denatured alcohol (not sure this helped) and a product called Lift-Off, which seemed to help, but really didn't get me all the way there.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I don't think that a solvent exists for cured silicone that won't also dissolve the tub. Careful scrubbing and scraping is the typical route. Some people have reported good results from acetone (nail polish remover). Check to make sure that it's compatible with the tub finish if you're working with an acrylic or fiberglass gelcoated tub.

#3 ·
As md says, I'm not aware of any product that will disolve the caulk. Both methanol (and think other alcholols would be similar) and acetone can help some, but not alot. What beleive happens in this case that you are causing the caulk to swell some, which can cause it beak its bond to the wall/tile/tub/etc. I can say that I once worked in a lab where we had several acrylic water tanks (much like plastic fish tanks), where a silicone RTV was often used as a sealant. We used both methanol and acetone to clean optical windows in the tanks, and if you accidently got any on the silicone you where likely to develop a leak. But even then the silcone stayed stuck to the tank and was a pain to scrape off in order to reseal it.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

My situation is that I've removed all the original caulk between the tub and tile and have cleaned/re-caulked a number of times. Each time, more of my new caulk sticks but there's now a lenght along the back part of the tub that still seems to have a problem.

Liquid Sandpaper was suggested by a contractor friend. Any experience with this?

#6 ·
I agree with all the above posts. I have always used denatured alcohol as it removes soap scum that can negate the adhesion of new silicone. I have found that using the "cheap" plastic putty/drywall knives (from the Dollar Store) helps remove thin layers of old silicone. They also do not scratch the surface and can be "sharpened" with a file or grinder to get a nice edge.

#7 ·
Thanks guys!

Just for clarification, all of old caulk (suspected to be silicone) has been completely removed. It's the trace amounts of residual silicone that cannot be seen that needs to be removed from the surface so that latex-based caulk can adhere to those surfaces.

Thanks again!!

#8 ·
Best way to get old silicone off is by abrasion. Silicone doesn't stick to cured silicone well. Try every trick in the book, but don't scratch the tub. Heck, try an eraser. Once you get it off, let that area dry out well. If there is moisture present, the silicone will not bond. Same goes for dirt.

You might try this stuff out.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2151182

Says it works, but might soften plastics. Test and use with care.

#11 ·
Just curious...
From what I understand, Silcone caulk exibits superior performance to latex in an area of high water exposure, like for instance, a tub surround. Not siliconized caulk mind you, but 100% silicone caulk.

#12 ·
Removing Silicone Caulk

I'm a perfectionist. So it all had to be GONE. And there was a lot to get rid of. I was working on a 70-year-old porcelain over cast iron tub. For the record, I'm chemically sensitive, so I have to be careful what I use other than elbow grease and water. Here's how I did it.

1. Use a utility razor knife to make a vertical cut and horizontal cut to remove the bulk of the grout. Pull it out.

2. Use the same knife to remove as much of the grout as you can from the surrounding tub and tiles. If you end up making one of those little graphite marks on the porcelain with the knife, don't worry, just "scrub" it out with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

3. After you're down to that remaining, and stubborn, "skim" of caulk, apply Citra-Solv Concentrate to it with a paper towel. Citra-Solv is a natural ingredient and environmentally-friendly solvent. Wait a minute or two and then hit it again with the razor knife. With just a little effort, it will slide right off.

4. Clean with an environmentally friendly spray cleanser and dry. (I use a little Dr. Bronner's liquid soap with water in a spray bottle.)

As a final flourish, run over the newly cleaned area with the magic eraser. You can then run your finger over it and it should be smooth as a baby's bottom. Otherwise, back to step 3.

There! That'll teach you, you stubborn silicone caulk residue!

#13 ·
I too like to have all the silicone residue gone from the porcelain tub. After removing a shower door track I tried to remove all the silicone to reinstall the track on a clean surface. Using the good old razer blade was not good enough so I decided to use WD40 which I have used before for cleaning sticky glue surfaces. This product work fantastic on my types of glue and worked great on helping to remove the residue. Just make sure you have a ventilated area as it does have a strong order but worth it.

#14 ·
Removing silicone sealant

Rotary steel brush on an electric drill is very effective. I used a cup steel brush in cleaning up the ceramic tile adhesive from our shower formica walls and it is so much easier than scraping. You can also use paint removing mesh pads except they can be more aggressive than the steel bristles.

#17 ·
Removal of Uncured (soft) Silicone Sealant

What would be the best way to remove recent soft uncured silicone sealant?

I applied some old silicone to a basement wall crack in the corner and it
remains soft and liquid to the touch. What would dissolve this and clean
the concrete for some new fresh sealant?

#18 ·
i just used goo gone to remove the caulk from my cultured marble shower pan and aluminum door frame. It is a citrus based product and worked great. Squirt some on, let it sit a minute and scrape with a painters 5 in 1 tool or putty knife.
I took someones advice and cleaned with a majic eraser. I have a fan on it now and will re-caulk in an hour or so.

#20 ·
There actually is a product called "contractor's Solvent" made by a company called De-solve It. This is a citrus type of solvent and will not harm your skin, stink up the house, or ruin the finish on your tub or tile. Excellent product specifically made for taking off cured silicone. Two things to keep in mind - first - it has to sit for about 15 mins before attempting to take off the silicone - can sit for as long as 24 hours. Second - you MUST thoroughly wash the area when done so the new silicone doesn't react with the solvent. Many True Value stores stock this.

#21 ·
I found a product at an Ace Hardware store that is called Motsenbocker's Lift Off. I just used it to get rid of silicone on a shower door I am resealing and it worked great. Just scrape as much off as you can and put the gel on the remaining silicone and let it sit for 5 min and it breaks up and wipes off. Then you wash the cleaner off with water. It is biodegradable.

#22 · (Edited)
Goof Off Works

Just finished removing very old silicone sealant from a flat laminate top. First scrapped most of the glue away with a sharp scraping blade on a handle. A low angle is best to protect the surface and you might have to use a sawing motion if it is tough to get up.

Once that was done I tried some Goof Off solvent and a tuffy pad on the residual. It came off quick with a clean surface left behind. A warning, Goof Off does have a strong solvent smell (xylene) and is flammable, so keep your work area ventilated.

One other solvent I have used that works for this kind of thing is T10 solvent from the marine trades stores. It is a mixed solvent used to clean surfaces. It too is flammable and has it's own peculiar smell.

#23 ·
removing silcone caulk

After my VERY handy fiance installed our new stainless sink (using silicone caulk), we couldn't shape or remove the bead from either the countertop or the sink- it just smeared everywhere and of course dried to a thick rubber-like substance. So, we read all of your posts and tried everything- but had to use caution with abrasive tools (razors, drill heads, etc)...so he got frustrated and grabbed the paint thinner (mineral spirits) and it worked like a dream with minimal effort!! (This is happenning as I write, so I will have to report back on whether or not we ruined the finish on the sink or the crappy old laminate countertops).

PS: the old porcelain over cast iron sink was a nightmare to get out- heavy & STUCK. So, we used a car jack to push it out- FYI!!! Worked great to break the seal.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dsr-5

While there are many products that will remove cured or un-cured silicone, they will also damage the surface the silicone is attached to. That is the problem. You'd never use acetone to remove a bead of silicone from a painted surface. It may work diluted on a granite top but do not get it on anything else! And Never use it on Solid Surface (Corian, etc.)Someone else on here mentioned DSR-5 Silicone & Adhesive Remover. This is a product that works as advertised and will not harm the surface that the silicone is stuck/smeared on.

#25 ·
I got the answer

Acetone will remove all silicon base products and will not damage porcelain tubs. I have used it on many of projects. Tubs, aluminum, windows, ect. Apply a small amount on cloth rag and just rub. With in seconds it breaks the bond and you are left with clean area to apply new silicon almost instantly because of how fast the acetone evaporates. Good luck on all your projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.