Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Removing Painter's Tape

I spent an hour taping my ceiling and shower walls so I could paint the walls. I took my time so I would get a nice even line. I painted one coat one night, then the second coat the next night. When I went to pull off the tape, it also pulled off the latex paint and the top facing of the moister board! It also peeled off the ceiling paint where the tape was! When I painted my kitchen with Valspar last spring I did not have this problem. This time I used Behr. Is the paint or me? HELP please...

mommom271214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Removing Painter's Tape

If you're pulling the paint off with the masking tape, it is one of several things...
1. Lack of adequate curing time before you put tape on the paint.
2. Old tape, or tape that isn't actually painters' tape.
3. Lack of primer under the paint the tape was affixed to.

It has nothing to do with the brand of paint, though I highly suspect that this is just another troll post trying to kick up a stink about Behr Paint.

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-06-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #3

Removing Painter's Tape

Dr. Hicks thank you for your reply. I did use new painter's tape, the surface had been primered, what I think happened, was using the shower and the moisture sealed the tape even tighter, so the combination of moister, paint and adhesive made a tight bond. Oh, and I don't know what a troll message is, but this wasn't one of them. I was not bashing any paint brand just wanted an answer to a question.
mommom271214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Removing Painter's Tape

Mommom, in the future, you shouldn't shower under a freshly painted ceiling. I don't know if it caused your problem, I doubt it though, but it can cause other problems.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing Painter's Tape

I have Gospel music playing through my ears at the moment. Old Kim Carnes album actually. But you know happiness can never come to your soul using box store paints like Valspar or Behr?

Spotify track just switched to "Crazy in the Night (Barking at Airplanes). Looked at my stash. It's still Benjamin Moore paint store stuff. All my brushes are nice ones.

Wish you well. Glad you saved $10-15 a gallon. Sorry you have to scrape it all off and paint again.

Prime. Two coats of paint store paint thereafter.

This site allows Behr banner advertising. So I guess I do not want to care anymore.

Last edited by user1007; 10-08-2011 at 01:02 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing Painter's Tape

One final comment. I used a 2-1/2 or 3 inch sash brush all the years in the business. I used tape only as a cruch or when clients would scream if I painted the carpeting next to the trim.

With the devil screaming over my shoulder (You can do it without tape!). I would prep tape with a knife blade down around trim and carperting.

You cannot use the best of brushes with crappy assed box store paint and expect to learn to paint.

I am thinking of ebaying my painters tool kit. Remnants of 30 years at it all and some nearly new brushes might come with the deal.

Switching spotify to San Francisco sixties music now.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Removing Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommom271214 View Post
Dr. Hicks thank you for your reply. I did use new painter's tape, the surface had been primered, what I think happened, was using the shower and the moisture sealed the tape even tighter, so the combination of moister, paint and adhesive made a tight bond. Oh, and I don't know what a troll message is, but this wasn't one of them. I was not bashing any paint brand just wanted an answer to a question.

I would think moisture would loosen the tape, not make it stick better. If the tape was pulling off the paint, then you had bad paint and or primer and or improperly prepared surface. Or both
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would think moisture would loosen the tape, not make it stick better. If the tape was pulling off the paint, then you had bad paint and or primer and or improperly prepared surface. Or both
I thought I hinted the same thing. And dammit, I went to dental school and have an honorary degree in dental science. I ain't cut like Hicks though. I am a painter. Or was.

Last edited by user1007; 10-08-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #9

Removing Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I thought I hinted the same thing. And dammit, I went to dental school and have an honorary degree in dental science. I ain't cut like Hicks though. I am a painter. Or was.
Which galaxy?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Removing Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Methinks someone has been hittin' the sauce.

Last edited by DrHicks; 10-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote