Removing Paint Smell - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing paint smell

hello.

I have a used safe I bought.

I decided to repaint it, so I bought some of the old reliable, Rustoleum. I used the primer, and finished it with flat black. It's been three weeks so far, and the smell is still very strong. I don't think this would be good for my documents and antique watches I plan on storing in it.

I called Rustoleum, and the suggestion I got was "wash it with mild soap and water", which I have done repeatedly, but with no reduction of the fumes. Any suggestions? I am not sure that the Rustoleum helpline is helpful!

Regards,

Gene

Advertisement

Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Removing paint smell

Hi Gene.
In time this will get better, there really is not no real quick fix with this. The paint you used is probably oil based and that takes 30 days or longer to fully cure. Heat,Humidity/etc are factors. IMO take a fan and use it on the safe as so you get a good amount of fresh air circulating. But like I said, time is what it will take.............

Advertisement

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 558

Removing paint smell

You can use white vinegar to get rid of the remaining odor by setting a small bowl of white vinegar in your safe. Add a little fresh vinegar every day for 3 days and this should take care of the smell. If that doesn’t work then use charcoal briquettes or pieces of plain wood charcoal. Fill a brown paper bag with 2 to 4 cups of charcoal and set the bag in your safe. Charcoal absorbs many odors and is most frequently used to prevent musty odors in turned-off refrigerators, but it works well with removing paint odors, too. Leave charcoal in place as long as you need it, which is usually only a few days or less.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Removing paint smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
hello.

I have a used safe I bought.

I decided to repaint it, so I bought some of the old reliable, Rustoleum. I used the primer, and finished it with flat black. It's been three weeks so far, and the smell is still very strong. I don't think this would be good for my documents and antique watches I plan on storing in it.

I called Rustoleum, and the suggestion I got was "wash it with mild soap and water", which I have done repeatedly, but with no reduction of the fumes. Any suggestions? I am not sure that the Rustoleum helpline is helpful!

Regards,

Gene
Thanks guys, I will try both of those suggestions!

Gene
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote