Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Removing paint from fireplace brick

Somewhere in my home's past, an owner painted the fireplace exterior brick a glossy black. If I wanted to remove this, how would I go about it?

dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #2

Media blast, Citrus type stripper, Heat gun or inferred stripper, or off the shelf paint stripper & lots of elbow grease.....................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #3

You can remove the old paint easily by using products made of soy; soy will remove layers of paint without having to use strong chemicals or a lot of effort. The following is what you will need to get started:

1) Soy gel paint remover can be purchased at a home improvement or paint store. I suggest you go to a paint store.
2) You will also need a putty knife to scrape off the paint.
3) You will also need a wire brush to get into all those crevasses that the putty knife can’t.
4) You will also require plastic drop cloths for your walls/floors as this is a messy job.
5) And tape to tape off areas that you do not want striped.

Ok now the fun begins, make sure you cover and tape all areas around the fireplace securely walls, floors etc. As the soy gel will harm drywall and floors. After protecting the surrounding areas, you can now apply the gel to your fireplace brick by using the applicator that comes with it. Let it set for 30 minutes. When you see the paint start to wrinkle you can test at various times by scraping with the putty knife to see if it has all lifted. When the paint has all lifted, remove the rest of the paint from the brick with the putty knife. Just a note, if you have more than one layer of paint you will have to repeat this process to remove all the layers. Now when the paint is all removed you will need to clean the pores of the brick.

To clean the pores in the brick of any leftover paint you will need to use the wire brush by scrubbing into the pores to get the paint out. This will take some time and a lot of elbow grease. After you have removed all the paint, clean up your mess build yourself a well deserved fire pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy your new natural brick fireplace.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

Wouldn't it be great if the paint came off as easy as it was applied
You will have a huge job removing the paint. I have done this before and I tried every method of removal except media blast. All suggestions submitted, so far, work but you will run into problems like --wire brush discoloring the surface of brick and especially the morter joints. If this is done, use stainless wire brush for less marking
If I ever do this again, I will blast it
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
DIYer

Thanks for the advice!
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote