Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

Removing paint from edges of wood floor

I posted earlier asking for tips on painting quarter round without getting paint on the wood floor, and that worked out well; I painted several rooms with no issue.

However, the first two rooms have ugly bleed through where we masked the floor but didn't burnish the edges.

How can I remove this paint next to the edge with minimal damage to the brand-new wood floor?

Small amounts of rubbing alcohol take away the paint, but it doesn't take much before it discolors the floor.

I've also tried hot soapy water and a stiff plastic bristled grout brush, that sort of turns an area with clearly-defined paint lines into a whitish blur of paint. It sort of works.

I've got a small (maybe 1/2" wide) paint scraper that is working to dry-scrape, but it is taking off the polyurethane in spots. That's probably what I'd do without a better idea because it does not look right. Can polyurethane be re-applied around the edges of a floor, maybe 1 inch wide, without looking odd? I have no experience working with it.

I also have Goo-Gone and Goof-Off, which I'll try, though the fumes of the latter are so bad I can't imagine using it for the whole job.

What would you do?

jfklein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

I have heard that Krud Kutter also works pretty good to remove paint, not sure what it would do to the floor. Always test in an inconspicuous spot .
Your floor finish is clearly a waterborne, thats why the same thing works on both the paint and the floor finish.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklein13 View Post
I posted earlier asking for tips on painting quarter round without getting paint on the wood floor, and that worked out well; I painted several rooms with no issue.

However, the first two rooms have ugly bleed through where we masked the floor but didn't burnish the edges.

How can I remove this paint next to the edge with minimal damage to the brand-new wood floor?

Small amounts of rubbing alcohol take away the paint, but it doesn't take much before it discolors the floor.

I've also tried hot soapy water and a stiff plastic bristled grout brush, that sort of turns an area with clearly-defined paint lines into a whitish blur of paint. It sort of works.

I've got a small (maybe 1/2" wide) paint scraper that is working to dry-scrape, but it is taking off the polyurethane in spots. That's probably what I'd do without a better idea because it does not look right. Can polyurethane be re-applied around the edges of a floor, maybe 1 inch wide, without looking odd? I have no experience working with it.

I also have Goo-Gone and Goof-Off, which I'll try, though the fumes of the latter are so bad I can't imagine using it for the whole job.

What would you do?

That will work if the poly is oil based, you get used to the fumes pretty quick
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

we used to use denatured alcohol to remove latex paint from our trim. worked great but the trim was painted with oil paint.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

I'd use a single edge razor blade and scrape the paint off the floor toward the quarter round. Since both trim and floor are water based it may be impossible to use a solvent a remove one area without affecting the other. After scraping mask quarter round with 1" frog tape and use an artists brush and touch up the floor with water based poly in same sheen as floor. It may take several coats to build up the coating to match and blend with the existing floor.

Good luck
Cpcphil is offline   Reply With Quote