Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


i have an indoor brick wall, actually, a couple, that i would like to strip old (lead-based) paint from and restore it and have it exposed. i was told the only way to do it was pressure washing but that can be messy.

an idea just occurred to me why not try to do it chemically with some sort of a thinner that can be applied on the bricks and then wiped off with the paint dissolved in it ? am i onto something or way off ?

thx,

- a -

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


this is something i just found:

http://www.dumondchemicals.com/html/peelaway.htm

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 551
Rewards Points: 502
Default

removing paint chemically


If you want to remove lead-based paint, especially indoors, your one and only option is to contact your local health department and ask them what the acceptable ways of removing lead-based paint are. If you remove the paint improperly, it will become a big problem when it is time to sell, and you have to sign the legally-required lead-paint disclosure form.

All that said, removing paint from brick completely is extremely difficult. I would imagine it would take a very large number of stripper applications to dissolve the stuff.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Question

removing paint chemically


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
If you want to remove lead-based paint, especially indoors, your one and only option is to contact your local health department and ask them what the acceptable ways of removing lead-based paint are. If you remove the paint improperly, it will become a big problem when it is time to sell, and you have to sign the legally-required lead-paint disclosure form.

All that said, removing paint from brick completely is extremely difficult. I would imagine it would take a very large number of stripper applications to dissolve the stuff.

SirWired
thanks for your advice but i am not going to my city bureaucratzillas for this. the wall i am restoring was under some ugly wood panels before and there is no way for them to know whether it was painted or not. if they were less bureaucratic, i would be more friendly about keeping them in the loop.

i talked to the guy from the company that makes Peel Away and he said this product would do it but, of course, he is not impartial. are you saying it is hard to strip paint from bricks in general or specific to this product?

you know, everyone is saying it is hard but i keep seeing restored exposed brick walls all over town so I KNOW there are ways to do it immaculately. there just have to be.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

removing paint chemically


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic
....i keep seeing restored exposed brick walls all over town so I KNOW there are ways to do it immaculately. there just have to be.
There is
Media/Water blasting (a combo of both)
It's not a DIY friendly process, and should be hired out

You might...and I mean might...have a reasonable amount (percentage) of success using chemicals
Even if you did, it would be very time consuming and very messy...very
I would by no means suggest it
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


i already bought Peel Away. does not have to be immaculate - a little paint left here and there could have its charms ... i will tuckpoint the mortar in between and then glaze the bricks, it will look super
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

removing paint chemically


Good luck!
Please post back how it works out!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 551
Rewards Points: 502
Default

removing paint chemically


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
thanks for your advice but i am not going to my city bureaucratzillas for this. the wall i am restoring was under some ugly wood panels before and there is no way for them to know whether it was painted or not. if they were less bureaucratic, i would be more friendly about keeping them in the loop.

i talked to the guy from the company that makes Peel Away and he said this product would do it but, of course, he is not impartial. are you saying it is hard to strip paint from bricks in general or specific to this product?

you know, everyone is saying it is hard but i keep seeing restored exposed brick walls all over town so I KNOW there are ways to do it immaculately. there just have to be.
Your problem isn't necessarily going to be with the city. The problem will arise when it comes time to sell your house, and you are presented with the HUD-mandated Lead Disclosure Form. In it you must disclose any known lead-based paint hazards. Lead paint removed without the legally-required remediation is likely considered a hazard. A buyer may not like that very much. Fibbing on the form opens you up to a large lawsuit if the problem is found down the road, and that suit would probably not be covered by your liability insurance.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


i made two separate test patches and here is what the cleaned areas look like. it looked just like what surrounds it, maybe even worse, i tried to pick the toughest spots for testing.
Attached Thumbnails
removing paint chemically-peelaway_1_prcsd.jpg   removing paint chemically-peelaway_2_prcsd.jpg   removing paint chemically-peelaway_3_prcsd.jpg   removing paint chemically-peelaway_4_prcsd.jpg  
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
There is
Media/Water blasting (a combo of both)
It's not a DIY friendly process, and should be hired out

You might...and I mean might...have a reasonable amount (percentage) of success using chemicals
Even if you did, it would be very time consuming and very messy...very
I would by no means suggest it
percentage of success = 100. dude, seriously - PEEL AWAY 1 for oil-based paints. MIRACLE !!
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

removing paint chemically


That is very impressive
Thanks for the update!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,014
Default

removing paint chemically


it was unbelievably easy to do. the only thing it is a little expensive - a 5 gal bucket is about $160. 1 gal does about 15 sq ft. my whole project will cost about $350, which i will gladly pay, considering the effectiveness and cleanliness.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

removing paint chemically


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
it was unbelievably easy to do. the only thing it is a little expensive - a 5 gal bucket is about $160. 1 gal does about 15 sq ft. my whole project will cost about $350, which i will gladly pay, considering the effectiveness and cleanliness.
Hi, I've been trying to do the same thing for a while in my basement only I am in Toronto Canada and I can't seem to find this product anywhere. Do you have any idea where to get it?

Thanks

Harry
potatodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

removing paint chemically


Though you should be able to get it from a Sherwin Williams dealer, I don't know if they are Canada
Try your local Benjamin Moore dealers
They are independent dealers (not paint company owned), so they may carry, or be able to get the product

You will not find it at Big Box Home Centers
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

removing paint chemically


Yes. They have it.. just spoke to a guy... you were right about the price though... its about 40 CDN per gallon but it looks like it's worth it.

Just an idea... the active ingrediant is lye (caustic soda). I found a recipie for lye based stripper which uses lye, water and a thickening agent for vertical surfaces (corn starch). I may look at trying to make it myself once I see how the paper system works.... you can by lye (or make it from ash if you have a fireplace... ) for a couple bucks a gallon....

Cheers

potatodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat over Semi-Gloss dankreboot Painting 21 02-24-2013 07:46 PM
Dark over light...Do I need tinted primer? melissaandkris Painting 17 09-09-2011 10:43 AM
semi gloss enamel vs eggshell enamel NoExperience Painting 18 03-05-2009 04:57 AM
Flashing NoExperience Painting 13 09-04-2008 05:56 AM
Semi gloss on Semi gloss mattpricemn Painting 6 08-25-2008 07:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.