Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Removing paint from cement

(Hi, I'm new here)
I hope this is where this post belongs... it just seemed appropriate to put a paint question in the painting section.

Anyway, we have been doing some painting in a new house, and we were cleaning off the rollers, brushes, pans, etc in the back yard by the cement patio.

The paint is a latex interior semi-gloss for bathrooms, so we were washing it out in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soap. This watery-soapy-paint mixture spilled onto our cement patio, and immediately stained it the color of our bathroom!

I immediatly began hosing it down, but with no luck...
We then tried to scrub it off with soap and water, and again, no luck...
The problem is that since it is such a thin film due to it being so watered down, there is really nothing to scrape or scrub off. It is almost like the dye from the paint just soaked right into the concrete.

So, I am wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to get this paint off of our patio! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
TheDodoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

Removing paint from cement

If it's relatively new concrete, it's gonna be tough removing the paint. The paint has likely done what you think it did.......soaked it's way down into the concrete. It it's older (harder) concrete, removing the paint should be easier. I would think that Goof-off would be able to remove these spots. Test a small spot just to be sure it will work and that the Goof off doesn't stain/damage the concrete. I would pour some Goof-off onto a spot, cover it with saran wrap and let it marinate. This may take 5-10 minutes. Remove the saran wrap and gently scrub the area with a scotch brite pad or even an old tooth brush. You may have to add a bit of water to make it easier to scrub. Now you can hose off the area to see what you have. I'm gonna say that even if you get the paint off, you will still have an area of discoloration where the goof-off did it's magic. Eventually, the area will blend in with the rest of the concrete. If you're comfortable with how it looks, you can then proceed to the other paint spatters.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
TheDodoBird (09-15-2011)

Tags
cement, cleaning cement, latex paint, spill