Removing Old Wallpaper From Drywall - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

removing old wallpaper from drywall

In a recent painting project, we removed old wallpaper which was put on with some kind of adhesive that was impossible to remove..after scraping wallpaper off walls we had to litterally grind off adhesive..do not think that it was designed for wallpaper...it damaged the drywall and we had to end up getting a pro in to repair it. I want to remove wall paper and paint my bathroom and bedroom..I am so afraid to run into the same problem as we did before...any suggestions? painting over the paper is not an option. Any kind of super duper wallpaper remover that I do not know about?

Advertisement

bonnieardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

What did you use to try and remove the paper?
How did you try and remove the old glue?
Was the drywall primed before applying the wallpaper?
Adding your location to your profile is always a good idea, just go to quick links to edit.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,500

In my experience, where wallpaper removers will work, warm water will also work. Then there are some situations where neither will work.

If painting over the wallpaper is not an option (don't know why you say this), then probably you're dealing with vinyl wallpaper that can be peeled off, separating the outer layer from the paper layer that stays on the wall. This can then be sealed with Gardz. Then you can skim coat with drywall compound (i.e. Level 5 drywall finish). This can then again be primed if necessary. It won't necessarily be needed, for example if painting with flat paint. It might not even be necessary if painting with eggshell because a) flashing of sheen over drywall compound is normally an issue only when the surface is inconsistent (drywall compound only in some places, not the entire wall) and b) 2 coats of a quality paint and primer in one should work to cover this anyway. You will of course hear from some that paint and primer in one is purely marketing BS, but those people are mostly parroting what they've heard elsewhere, or are basing their opinions on products they tried 10 years ago and aren't keeping up with modern chemistry changes in the industry.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

http://www.safeandsimple.com/
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieardoin View Post
In a recent painting project, we removed old wallpaper which was put on with some kind of adhesive that was impossible to remove..after scraping wallpaper off walls we had to litterally grind off adhesive..do not think that it was designed for wallpaper...it damaged the drywall and we had to end up getting a pro in to repair it. I want to remove wall paper and paint my bathroom and bedroom..I am so afraid to run into the same problem as we did before...any suggestions? painting over the paper is not an option. Any kind of super duper wallpaper remover that I do not know about?
It sounds like you are describing vinyl over vinyl adhesive. It dries very hard and is nearly impossible to remove. I have found the most effective method is to mix a solution of hot water and fabric softener. This can be applied with a roller, pump sprayer, squirt bottle, or sponge. I prefer the roller, using a sponge in the corners. Don't get in a hurry, it will take multiple soakings. When it appears to have softened, take a 3 inch zip blade knife and scrape off the adhesive. You will need to do a clean water rinse after this. When everything is dry, you will need to scuff sand walls, and prime with Gardz or Cover Stain primer to keep adhesive from showing through paint.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VAProPainter For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,500

I've never really understood that advice, since water won't soak through the vinyl. I've always had better luck delaminating the outer vinyl layer to expose the paper. Unless you're talking about a different kind of paper.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I've never really understood that advice, since water won't soak through the vinyl. I've always had better luck delaminating the outer vinyl layer to expose the paper. Unless you're talking about a different kind of paper.
Good point, if you can't get the top layer to dry strip, then you need to score the surface using either a paper tiger scoring tool, or 36 grit sandpaper. Start the wetting process on either the scored surface or the wallpaper backing.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Not all papers are vinyl or vinyl coated. I stripped two bathrooms last week. One was a straight paper, the other a vinyl coated paper. The paper came off easily with just warm water (no scoring), the vinyl came off easily by peeling the face, then soaking.

If your stripping a true wall 'Paper', scoring is counter productive. Since water actually will soak through paper, scoring can make it harder by breaking the paper and causing it to come off in smaller pieces.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote