Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

removing lead paint

has anyone tried to use the product "silent paint remover" to remove lead paint? the idea seems great, the cost is just a little steep if it's really not all it's cracked up to be.

Thanks.

PS- do you need all their scrappers too? I would think one good flat one and one good curved one should do...

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

removing lead paint

Hey MLMIB, I noticed your second post here concerning lead has gone unanswered. I'm sure you're somewhat aware of the new lead rule, RRP, issued by the EPA. More govt alpahbet soup. RRP has thrown the whole issue of lead into confusion. When dealing with lead one has to be certain that their actions now comply with law. Not that it is against the law to give advice, most probably don't know what to say, or it's too complicated to explain. And from what I'm encountering in my research, some people are actually afraid to give advice, especially to homeowners, for fear of giving wrong advice which may come back to haunt. You might try here. Good Luck.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

removing lead paint

Be nice Ted----J Sheridan is always promoting safe working ----and proper practice----

Judge not----Mike-----
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

removing lead paint

Come on. Because of the new laws you cannot just mickey mouse around with lead abatement. If you know it is present you have to disclose it in real estate transactions just to start. You cannot and should not try to abate it yourself anymore without at least having someone licensed and certified to sign of on your procedures and work. Lead abatement, or at least the sign-offs are no longer a DIY project. Get over it.

As for expensive removers to strip lead based paint? There is nothing special about lead that requires special strippers and tools as far as getting it off. It is what you do with the scrapings once off.

Last edited by user1007; 04-22-2011 at 06:34 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Environmental Health

Rewards Points: 25

removing lead paint

Note: I'm a lead inspector.

It really depends on what your purpose it. If it is to remove some layers of paint, it may work just fine.

If you interest is to create a lead based paint free component, it probably won't do this. A lot of the lead particles remain embedded into the wood with chemical or this type of system. In other wise, it still will show that it has lead based paint.

The best way to abate lead is to replace. The second best way is to take the paint & thin layer of the wood off. This usually is done with sanders and/or planers. If you decide to go this route, you REALLY need to get protective information before doing this.

My 2 cents
Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

removing lead paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean CRCNA View Post
If you decide to go this route, you REALLY need to get protective information before doing this.

My 2 cents
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

removing lead paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean CRCNA View Post
Note: I'm a lead inspector.

It really depends on what your purpose it. If it is to remove some layers of paint, it may work just fine.

If you interest is to create a lead based paint free component, it probably won't do this. A lot of the lead particles remain embedded into the wood with chemical or this type of system. In other wise, it still will show that it has lead based paint.

The best way to abate lead is to replace. The second best way is to take the paint & thin layer of the wood off. This usually is done with sanders and/or planers. If you decide to go this route, you REALLY need to get protective information before doing this.

My 2 cents
Didn't you get them memo, all unsolicitied advice is now worth three cents
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,034

removing lead paint

Homeowners are exempt from the new Federal lead laws. The new laws apply to contractors but just advise homeowners of what they should do.

Federal law requires that contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects
that disturb painted surfaces in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978
be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.

You local or state laws could be different however.
The big thing to avoid is breathing in the dust and leaving dust on the site that could become airborne.