Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Removing latex paint from aluminum mill finish window frame

Whats the best approach to removing latex paint from the 'mill' finish plain aluminum window frames?

Scrapping with anything scratches it bad.

I may end up painting them actually, but im just wondering if i decide to clean it off. myself and the really bad painter i hired got it on some windows...

why paint them you ask?

(i have a condensation problem with them, and i painted one completely, and it seems to help a little at insulating the frame....)

pretzels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not you again! Take some Goof Off or denatured alcohol, either of which are solvents for dried latex paint. You're a good sport Pretzels.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Not you again! Take some Goof Off or denatured alcohol, either of which are solvents for dried latex paint. You're a good sport Pretzels.
haha, ok i didnt know if the goof off would work.....i bought some extreme stuff a while back.....but by reading it, it seems as if ill die from using it....

how would i do it? Apply it let it set a bit, or just dump it on a rag and rub till it comes off?

hey, im just trying to get out of the dog house and in the house ive worked on day in and day out for 2 years now.

I dont even know what my life was like before i started this project......
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would apply it liberally with a rag, let it soak a bit. You might try scraping the softened stuff with a plastic or nylon putty knife then ragging off the balance. It takes a little elbow grease. You do sound pretty twisted up, does that account for the username? lol.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

our house is a little out there......everything custom...and different from the norm.......so, its a little bit of a headache.....but end the end im happy and satisfied.....i mean.....im in my mid 20s and im almost done designing, building, and finishing out my own home......(but on my way to loosing my wife) haha....but in the end when you break it all down.....its actually pretty normal......the house that is....not my life, or me. ha
Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzels View Post
Whats the best approach to removing latex paint from the 'mill' finish plain aluminum window frames?

Scrapping with anything scratches it bad.

I may end up painting them actually, but im just wondering if i decide to clean it off. myself and the really bad painter i hired got it on some windows...

why paint them you ask?

(i have a condensation problem with them, and i painted one completely, and it seems to help a little at insulating the frame....)
Warm soapy water, goof off, and oopps. Any one of these should work. If you have a condensation problem, painting over it will only cause the paint to fail and peel off down the road.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Warm soapy water, goof off, and oopps. Any one of these should work. If you have a condensation problem, painting over it will only cause the paint to fail and peel off down the road.
i realize that...but it helped the one window i painted.....and the window sills are already effed up after only about a 1 1/2 years.

condensation is a battle that im losing....luckily spring/summer is upon us and we will be at a stalemate for a while.