Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Removing glue on wall from wallpaper

I am currently in the process of removing wallpaper from the master bedroom. The first layer was put up in the late 70's and the next two in the late 80's and then painted. I know the history of the house as I bought it off family. Anyways. I used a paint scraper tool with a sharp edge and the paper came right off, just a ton of dust flying everywhere. The plaster looks real good and is coming out damage free but there is still some of the glue from the paper still on the walls. The glue remaining on the walls scrap off really easily, but will take forever doing this, so I was wondering if there is a stiff brush I could use to take the rest off. I'm scared to use something that will moisten it in fear that it will make things worse.

I attached two cell phone pics for viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing glue on wall from wallpaper-0120101538a.jpg   Removing glue on wall from wallpaper-0120101538b.jpg  

cwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

You need to wash off all that will come off then apply a primer of Gardz or oil.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

You need a smooth surface for a good paint job so any paste affecting the smoothness of surface should
be sanded smooth or washed off. Once it is smooth an oil based primer should be applied. This will seal in the remaining paste. Then you can finish paint with latex. Paste will sometimes cause latex to flake off. This is the reason for oil based primer. You can buy a low odor quick dry oil based primer to do the job. Good Luck
JackHap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Gardz takes the place of oil in most cases, this is what is was made for.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Chris is right I haven't used Gardz except for a couple of small areas. I still prefer oil, but Zinnser makes
Gardz and other excellent products. I use their products. Gardz spec says it'll work and Chris's field experience says so. That's good enough for me. I may try it next time.
JackHap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the advice on this. I was reading the label on a can of that Gardz and it keeps mentioning drywall repair and sealing. Is it still safe to use on real plaster walls or should I go with a good oil based primer?
cwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

It works an just about anything, I have used it on plaster walls a lot, my own home included.