Removing A Coating From Concrete Patio. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a coating from concrete patio.

Hi quick question maybe someone could help. I have a 30sq ft concrete balcony/patio with a really beat up coating on it. It's a bit thicker than paint and has some grit in it. I bought some jasco paint & epoxy remover (gel) from Lowes. Put on one coat of it and it didn't phase the coating. Ended up doing 3 coats and waiting between each. It still barely phased the stuff. The patio is outside, and small so I'm looking for something super powerful to remove this stuff. Any ideas?

Advertisement

regtwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

It sounds like you have a heavy duty epoxy coating that is failing. Considering that the epoxy remover you tried didn't work, diamond grinding might be a option to look at.

The machines can be rented for $200-$300 a day, and they are pretty easy to use. Doing it this way would have the added benefit of prepping the pad for whatever coating you use to re coat it with.

I have used diamond grinders to remove sealers from concrete in perpetration for epoxy, but never to remove epoxy itself.

Most SW stores rent the machines. They could tell you if it would be appropriate for your situation. I would imagine it would work...

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,686

If it's stuck that well can't you just coat over it?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The paint is gouged uneven and 30 years old, I spent a considerable amount of time grinding and refinishing the metal railing around this patio, and don't want to skimp on making the patio look good/last long. I'm really just looking for the brand and type of remover that is stronger than the stuff at lowes. Thanks!
regtwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I had a painter 'carpet' on my concrete patio, a rented high power pressure washer took it right off.